• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TTB Weirdness?

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will start off saying I have no experience working with suspensions, nor have I owned or driven a 4WD vehicle until I got my Ranger. The issue I'm having is that the body drastically leans when steered one way or the other. (Leans in the direction of the steering.) I know the truck has no sway bars, front or rear. Is this how trucks usually behave with no sway bars? Not real worried about sway bars, but the suspension and axles were upgraded by PO and want to make sure everything is right

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There should be no lean.
There is the tech section at the top of every page. Also check the stickies at the top of this forum section.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
some body roll with no sway bars should be expected during corners at speed, but a lot depends on the front spring setup...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I took you to mean the when you steered left the truck leaned left, that shouldn't happen. If when you steer left it leans right that is normal. Sway bars counter the turn left lean right scenario.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Mind posting a few photos of these upgrades for us?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
So I took you to mean the when you steered left the truck leaned left, that shouldn't happen. If when you steer left it leans right that is normal. Sway bars counter the turn left lean right scenario.
I figured, I just couldn't figure out how that would happen with TTB, something would have to be very strange :)

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The older Rangers and Bronco II's have a bunch of caster dialed in the front end. Up to 8 degrees is acceptable at lower ride heights. Half tons are less.

Combine that with wide tires and as you turn the wheel the tendency is to stand the tires on their edges.

Steering Angle Inclination (SAI) causes one side of the truck to stand higher than the other side. Think of SAI as the angle of the line drawn through the upper ball joint and the lower ball joint pivot point when viewed from the front. It usually looks like this / \

Caster is the angle when viewed from the side. It's almost always positive (upper ball joint more rearward). I have seen some trucks that run negative caster, but it's very rare.

Think of caster as a dynamic function. It's measured when turning the front wheels, and it's essentially camber change through an arc. When turning the wheel, caster adds to SAI on one side and subtracts from SAI on the other side. That's what causes the lean.

I've found when installing wide tires on TTB vehicles, they will work better with less caster. Camber and toe need to be set very close to zero to avoid the negative camber when backing up scenario.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The older Rangers and Bronco II's have a bunch of caster dialed in the front end. Up to 8 degrees is acceptable at lower ride heights. Half tons are less.

Combine that with wide tires and as you turn the wheel the tendency is to stand the tires on their edges.

Steering Angle Inclination (SAI) causes one side of the truck to stand higher than the other side. Think of SAI as the angle of the line drawn through the upper ball joint and the lower ball joint pivot point when viewed from the front. It usually looks like this / \

Caster is the angle when viewed from the side. It's almost always positive (upper ball joint more rearward). I have seen some trucks that run negative caster, but it's very rare.

Think of caster as a dynamic function. It's measured when turning the front wheels, and it's essentially camber change through an arc. When turning the wheel, caster adds to SAI on one side and subtracts from SAI on the other side. That's what causes the lean.

I've found when installing wide tires on TTB vehicles, they will work better with less caster. Camber and toe need to be set very close to zero to avoid the negative camber when backing up scenario.
Hmmm. That explained what I’ve observed over the years. Thanks

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Will post pics soon, been busy with work

Last edited:

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have chocked this one up to the missing sway bars instead of a suspension defect. But one more question for you guys, the PO of this truck managed to snap the head off the camber bolt (camber bolt? The bolt that adjust camber/caster and is used for alignment.) Anyway they snapped the head off this bolt, how the hell do I get it out? Been thinking about a torch and hole punch

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you should ask the bolt question in a new thread. More likely to get more views.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals