• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TTB Shock Valving

'84 Bronco II

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking at getting a set of Bilstein 5165 shocks for the front of my Bronco II and I am wondering what valving I should be shooting for.

I am looking at PN 25-177473 which has a standard valving of 366/240. I am going to be running some RE 1310 springs (4.5" XJ springs), which, according to Rubicon Express has a spring rate of around 165 lbs/in, but by my calculations is more like 230 lbs/in. Both the springs and shocks will be mounted in the stock coil buckets, and my rig has a motion ratio of approximately 1.45:1. I use this truck mostly for general trails and in the rocks and am mostly looking for a smooth ride on the choppy stuff so I do not have to slow to a crawl.

I called up Bilstein and the representative told me I should custom order my shocks with 255/70 valving. The problem is that he did not instill much confidence in me. He asked what kind of vehicle I would be installing them on and did not seem to care much that I am running significantly softer than standard TTB springs, or what my primary uses of my vehicle were.

So if any of you have shock tuning experience or similar set ups, please help point me in the right direction. I do not want to drop ~$450 on custom valved shocks just to be disappointed.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Subscribing to this. I'm curious what you end up doing as I'm planning something similar on my 96 Ranger. I run a lot of gravel backroads and the choppy stuff drives me crazy.

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure how it translates over for you but I have .15s on compression and .8s on rebound that's a 2.5 12inch Foa coilover. 6 over ttbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals