• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TSA to allow 2.36" knives on airplanes starting 4-25-13, what will you be packin?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
TSA to allow 2.36" knives on airplanes starting 4-25-13, what will you be packin?

The TSA announced this week they will allow small knives (2.36" blade length) to be carried on commercial airplanes starting April 25, 2013. The decision has some drawbacks though, the knives they allow are much smaller than anything I would carry around and consider useful.

Can't be:
Fixed blade
Blade longer than 2.36"
Blade wider than .5"
Molded grip
Locking back

http://www.tsa.gov/pil-sharpobjects

I'll now be bringing my keychain knife with me (tiny Swiss Army) but still be forced to leave my 3.16" Benchmade at home...at least any knife is better than no knife. I can think of lots of trips where I didn't check a bag and wished later that I had a knife with me during the trip.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My biggest fear when I flew was getting a seat right in front of a couple of young kids who are on a trip high at 6:30 in the morning and they are not serving drinks yet. If they still allow matches or a lighter on board, several ways that don't include a bomb that could bring a plane down, no explosives at all.
People are getting so parinoid about just about anything today, think a lot of them ought to visit the real world for a change.
Dave

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Toothpaste. A big tube.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wax, sawdust and a little------------will burn right thru an engine block. Won't kick off a metal detector. I could be so dangerous if let go.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I still think they would be dangerous enough though, you can reach a lot of things with only a 2" blade...

That is pretty much all I use everyday. Usually it is smaller than that. It doesn't take a sword to cut tape on boxes.

The only use I for a knife much bigger than that is hunting, and then I prefer fixed blade so I don't have to pick blood, meat and hair out the inside of my knife. :icon_thumby:

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No lockbacks? My trusty Buck 503 will have to stay at home. I'll definitely take something though. Probably one of those puny swiss army knives.

numbernine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i would be much more worried about a motivated individual with a number 2 pencil than a tiny piece of simi sharp metal. the tsa has some sample photos of 'knives that fly' and its the kind of knives you would expect a kid or old lady to carry. its just like the nra says about guns "knives dont kill people, people do.....and a person with a little training and a lot of moto can get the job done without need of a knife."

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I wouldn't carry anything, because they will most likely have to do all these safety checks on it, and getting through security will just take longer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals