• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trying to make decision on 3.0

michowski

Reaction score
Well as it sits now my 3.0 is in need of new rings at the least. It burns a good amount of oil and im just ready to fix it. 2 years ago I got new heads on it, got my custom intake and just recently got an underdrive pulley. What my plan is was to get a 3.0 engine block from the junkyard or were ever I can find one. I would then bore it out to the maximum size pistons at 89.8mm. I would reuse my newer heads but would swap over to the 1:7:1 roller rockers and add a new cam from Tom Morana. Id get my heads and intake ported and polished.

My reason for doing a 3.0 is because with the core parts return id get some money off the cost by eliminating the charge. Also everything I have now I can reuse/sell off as needed. But recently I have been thinking of going for the 4.0 instead and doing similar or even a 5.0 swap. I like the 3.0 swap because its just so easy to do and its just plug and play. Im not sure which way I want to go. I have to build the motor on the side because my truck is my dd. Im not sure which way to go. The 3.0 is just fine power wise for me. But you can never have enough power so im totally open to that option but not sure if I want to spend that much more money. What would you do?

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i want to do the same exact thing to my 3.0 everything you listed i want to do but i have the same problem i dont no if i should build my 3.0 or do a 5.0 swap i think im gonna build my 3.0 and buy another ranger and do the 5.0 swap thats wat i think im gonna do

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I actually like the 3.0, I don't need a fast truck but when it comes time to put a new motor in it I will do some building to it to get some more ponies I say stay with the 3.0 if you like it.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you dont need a 5.0 why waste the time and work? the 3.0 is a reliable motor and is a great motor for a DD

TinyBear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L Twin Turbo Direct Injection Eco Boost
Transmission
Automatic
Stick with the 3.0l if ya like it. Have had three of em myself now from a 2wd day cab to a 4x4 ex cab and NOT once has any of em left me stranded witch is more than i can say about the two 4.0Ls i have had.

chrisvegas72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
id stay with the 3.0 ive got well over 300,000 miles on mine and she has seen alot of abuse in the vegas dezert and its runs great. sure ive had a few problems but who hasnt, esspecially at that total of miles

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
When it comes to the 3L roller rockers are about the only worth while investment. Underdrive pulleys may add a bit....like 5hp at 4K, but not worth $80+ dollars in my opinion. The roller rockers don't add power, they just allow the Vulcan to spin up a bit faster.

The 3L is pretty decent on gas. That is if you let it sit at 3,200rpm. I've managed 22mpg out of mine with 4.10's, 235's, and letting it sit in 4th gear on the interstate. Keep in mind it needs an alignment and has a bit of a noisy catalytic converter. When I fix these issues, I'm certain can squeeze another 1 or 2 mpg on average.

The best I've gotten with a 2.3L 4x4 was 24.5mpg.

The best MPG attained with a 4L (one from work) is 20mpg.

All had comparable gearing and tires.

To me reliabilty and mileage are important.

My vote is for the 3L and the 4L as a 2nd option.

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals