• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trying to find options for an engine swap

radtap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So this is my first post here and I'm not all that knowledgeable about rangers, I've got a 98 Mazda B2500 as y'all know is literally just a Ranger. It's got the gutless 2.5L I4 and I want to change that motor out for something with a bit more power. I've got the 5 speed manual. I've seen people swap 5.0L from Explorers in but I wanted to know about any other options, possibly cheap or ones where I could keep the transmission as I hate dealing with those. I know that the 5 speed for the 2.5L can't handle very much but that doesn't worry me since I'm not into making huge power, just a bit more than the 140 from the 2.5L, something where I could tow a small trailer at decent speeds and maybe race my buddies down streets at night. I've considered putting a JET performance chip but there's just no actual performance parts for those engines. Thank yall

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

So here's the deal, the transmission in your 2.5l B2500 won't fit any larger engines, nothing to do with power, it just won't bolt up to any other larger engine, and no adapters
The computer in your B2500 will only run a 2.5l Lima engine, so any engine swap will require different computer and engine wiring harness for the "new engine"

This is why the 5.0l V8 is a popular swap, first because it fits, lol, but second is because its the same amount of work to swap in ANY other engine, so why not do the V8

You need engine, trans, computer and wiring harness, so why do a V6, you can go out an buy a stock Ranger or Mazda B series with a V6, so alot of work for something you could just buy with all the correct parts already installed

You can often find the 4.0ls with blown heads gaskets or bad timing chains, pick it up cheap and fix it or swap in another 4.0l

Performance chip won't help

Think Turbo charger for 4cyl engines, that makes the most sense, or sell the B2500 and buy a Ranger 4.0l or B4000 with manual trans

radtap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome to TRS :)

So here's the deal, the transmission in your 2.5l B2500 won't fit any larger engines, nothing to do with power, it just won't bolt up to any other larger engine, and no adapters
The computer in your B2500 will only run a 2.5l Lima engine, so any engine swap will require different computer and engine wiring harness for the "new engine"

This is why the 5.0l V8 is a popular swap, first because it fits, lol, but second is because its the same amount of work to swap in ANY other engine, so why not do the V8

You need engine, trans, computer and wiring harness, so why do a V6, you can go out an buy a stock Ranger or Mazda B series with a V6, so alot of work for something you could just buy with all the correct parts already installed

You can often find the 4.0ls with blown heads gaskets or bad timing chains, pick it up cheap and fix it or swap in another 4.0l

Performance chip won't help

Think Turbo charger for 4cyl engines, that makes the most sense, or sell the B2500 and buy a Ranger 4.0l or B4000 with manual trans
When I found my truck the only reason I went with it is because it was in absolutely mint condition. I've thought about the turbo kit but I was worried about how much work that would be and I'm not too into the whole drilling holes in the pan to plumb oil around. I have found the exhaust manifold but haven't looked further. What would it take to turbo one besides exhaust, turbo, oil pump and oil cooler with obviously a charge pipe with a blowoff valve.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If its in mint condition then it should sell for good money :) to get a 4.0l V6 truck

There is nothing you can bolt on to get more power from pretty much any engine, may be Nitrous Oxide system, lol, but don't recommended it

Not sure engine swap or turbo will be for you
Turbo is less work that a swap but still lots of work, cutting and drilling

The 4cyl Rangers/B2500s were made for one reason/one use, carrying small loads with reasonable MPG vs a V6 or V8 truck

This Lima engine was designed in 1972, first used as a 2.3l in 1974 Pinto, so old technology, 47 years old this year
It has a low power to weight ratio, its build like a tank, very reliable and will last alot of miles
That is what you bought
Ford added dual spark plugs in 1989 to squeeze a bit more power out, and then Stroked the 2.3l to a 2.5l in 1998 to get a bit more power, 2001 was last year for this Lima engine.

If you want a turbo read here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/sohc-2-3l-2-5l-lima-engines-135/2-5-turbo-55259/

Rusty Bouquet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.3 platform is old, but pretty well supported. And capable of decent power, but turbo is a tuning game. Not the cheapest route either, but when you gap a small block, it's all worth it!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The Lima 2.3 could handle planning the head .030" to boost compression, someone here must know if the 2.5 can be cut that much. That would increase power a little and probably require higher octane fuel. I suspect you have 3.45 gears and swapping in a rear with 4.10's would help acceleration and if your area is hilly like ours it wouldn't hurt the mileage much because you could stay in 5th gear more. If you put taller tires on it you'll make the power loss worse.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Turbo it. You won't regret it.

Unless your pistons wind up in your oil pan. Then you will regret it.

Eaton M62 off a cobalt SS should be damn near perfect if you want to go blower route.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A cheaper option is to just remove a vacuum line and route it into the cab. When you need more power just blow really really hard on the hose.

BOOOOOOOST!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A cheaper option is to just remove a vacuum line and route it into the cab. When you need more power just blow really really hard on the hose.

BOOOOOOOST!
He'll need you to ride along on the break-in ;)

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
How are the emissions laws in your state? We just got rid of DEQ on Jan 1 2020 here in the Promised Land. Easier to find and build power without smog...

I'd go power-adder before swapping. Turbo 4s can be a ton of fun to drive if done right, and if done right, the gut-punch of power that sucks you into your seat when the turbo (finally) spools up makes you feel like your truck is a hell of a lot faster than it is. But what do I know, I've only ever turbo'd my old Mazda.

If you're dead set on power, hit the junkyard. Find anything with a roller cam 302 and Duraspark or TFI ignition, then take it and the transmission. You can do an HEI conversion if you really want. Let some air in it with longer rocker arms and a high torque truck cam, cheap quick power. Get a 650+ cfm 4-bbl for about $300 new or pennies used. Junkyard pricing here has that 302 dressed out for $225 give or take. Trannies (no not the kind you get in Portland) will run you about $100 incl. core charge. You could reliably get all the parts you need sub-$1000 if you don't rebuild your yard motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals