• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck tries to crank over

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It actually doesn't matter, as long as crank mark is at 12:00, cam mark can be at 6:00 or 12:00
6:00 would be TDC #1
12:00 would be TDC #5

If you are timing distributor or cam sensor at the same time, then yes, you would want cam mark at 6:00

Cam gear has twice as many teeth as crank gear, so if you time with cam mark at 12:00 and rotate crank one full turn cam mark will be at 6:00, and visa versa
So works fine either way

Last edited:

Roosternugget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It actually doesn't matter, as long as crank mark is at 12:00, cam mark can be at 6:00 or 12:00
6:00 would be TDC #1
12:00 would be TDC #5

If you are timing distributor or cam sensor at the same time, then yes, you would want cam mark at 6:00

Cam gear has twice as many teeth as crank gear, so if you time with cam mark at 12:00 and rotate crank one full turn cam mark will be at 6:00, and visa versa
So works fine either way
Somebody else told me it could be airflow restriction to an o2 sensor, maybe a clogged cat?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No on the O2 sensor, as far as start up, its not used until engine warms up

Yes, a blocked cat or muffler can cause a "no start", i.e. "the potato up the tail pipe trick", but it would have to be completely blocked, not just restricted to cause a no start

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I been working on this truck for a little over 2 months now, since then I fixed the timing, replaces the Crank position sensor, fuel pump, full fluid change, and smaller fixes here and there. When I go to crank the truck up, it tries to start, and just won't, i have every sensor hooked up, all the fuses are good, battery is brand new, cables are all wired in, and the fuel pressure is good. Im thinking its mechanical, but my buddies say its electrical. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks in advance. Its a 91 4.0L 4X4
It takes three things for an engine to run.. Air Fuel and spark... make sure you have all three to start. Did you install a new timing chain? if so did you use the timing cover alignment tool? if you did and didn't use the tool be prepared for a major oil leak in the front seal... I know from personal experience.. if it doesn't leak you should play the lottery. you are one lucky dude

Last edited:

Roosternugget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It takes three things for an engine to run.. Air Fuel and spark... make sure you have all three to start. Did you install a new timing chain? if so did you use the timing cover alignment tool? if you did and didn't use the tool be prepared for a major oil leak in the front seal... I know from personal experience.. if it doesn't leak you should play the lottery. you are one lucky dude
I just used a press tool on the crank pulley, if i start leaking, ill just have to realign

Roosternugget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Is this the ECC in my ranger? How can I test if its bad?
20200918_200432.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals