• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck stays running after diconnecting the IAC valve.

ConnieGallas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
All Stock
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
245/75/15
Do I know this is a vacuum leak somewhere. I'm fairly confident it's leaky around the throttle plate because I just took the upper manifold off and thouroghly cleaned it and all the related components, including the throttle body. I learned from s different thread that the throttle plate has a special coating applied by the manufacturer that seals the edges of the throttle plate. My question is, can I purchase this coating and apply it myself?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If engine was warmed up and you unplugged the 2 wires on IAC valve engine can stay running, but at lower RPM than with IAC valve plugged in

1996 4.0l might idle at 750rpm warmed up in Park, 800rpm in gear
Unplugged IAC should drop to 600-650 in Park

If unplugging IAC valve does not cause a drop in warm engine idle then you may have an air leak, not a big one
OR
Some one may have messed with the Anti-diesel screw on the throttle linkage, there is a screw that looks very much like an "idle screw" on the throttle linkage, but everyone knows fuel injected engines can't use an idle screw, so its called an anti-diesel screw, lol
But everyone should also know a fuel injected engine can't "diesel"(run on) like an older carb engine could do, so silly name for it
In any case if some one messed with it it may be holding throttle plate open too far

Not sure on a coating that would be for air leaks, the throttle plate rod leaks air, all do and all will, but not enough to cause an issue, if the rod is sloppy then replace the bushings or throttle body
Only other openings are sealed with gaskets

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On mine it holds the idle higher than normal if I screw around with it. I've done so many times in the past. Wanted the idle higher, turned that screw, and Voila, idles higher. If you turn it too much, you will get codes for it though. There's a very fine line to be dealt with when adjusting that screw. Generally, I just make sure I can slide a piece of paper in there when idling and it's all good. Sometimes, I want the idle higher, and that screw performs flawlessly in doing so.

Must just be me and my old-fashioned ways of doing things. Or my 98 Ranger is just a pig-in-the-poke.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That screw is not there for you to be screwing around with it!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I adjusted that screw on my 89 STX to keep the throttle plate from sticking. I don't know why, but after about 8 years of owning it, the throttle plate started sticking a little when the engine was cold. I studied everything around the throttle body and decided to try adjust the screw a little. It solved the problem and did not change the idle. I never had a problem with it again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals