• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck stalls about 40% of the time

Monty in Calgary

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Spt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi. I just bought a 2006 Ranger Sport, 3L, V6, 2WD. I'm having a HELL of a problem with it stalling when I come to stops, about 40% of the time. As I start getting almost to the stop, it's like the transmission wants to keep pushing the truck forward, not disengaging, instead of settling in at the normal idle. If I catch it in time, I can shift to Neutral and the idle will maintain as I stop, but as soon as I shift back into DRIVE, it'll still STALL. I've discovered that I CAN shift into REVERSE and it doesn't stall, but even after doing that, as soon as I go back to DRIVE, the revs drop, the truck shudders some, and stalls.

Every time this happens, I have to go to neutral or park, turn the ignition off, then re-start the truck, at which point I can go back into drive and carry on. (until the NEXT time) Turning OFF, then back ON, seems to "re-set" it, somehow.

This is becoming QUITE an issue. Really hoping someone, here, can have a really good feel for what's happening and maybe point me in the right direction for a fix. I'd be absolutely delighted to answer any questions anyone might have, if I can, that'll help.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Its the "Overdrive Off" light on or flashing? Or the Check engine light?

Sounds almost like the torque converter clutch is not disengaging.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
On top of what dirtman said, might be worth a try to change the transmission fluid and filter.

I know dirty trans fluid/filter will cause issue with hard shifting or not shifting at the correct time.

Monty in Calgary

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Spt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Its the "Overdrive Off" light on or flashing? Or the Check engine light?

Sounds almost like the torque converter clutch is not disengaging.
I've tried with O/D both On and Off. Don't see a difference. Not flashing. Goes on and off only when I use it intentionally.

I have NO warning lights of any kind.

So, is it the Torque Converter Clutch that normally disengages the transmission at a stop in an automatic transmission?

Monty in Calgary

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Spt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
On top of what dirtman said, might be worth a try to change the transmission fluid and filter.

I know dirty trans fluid/filter will cause issue with hard shifting or not shifting at the correct time.
A Tranny Flush was in my future plans anyway. Perhaps doing it sooner than later might be advisable. Being retired and on fixed income, I'm certainly interested in trying the least expensive options 1st. :) Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals