• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck security/anti theft

juice90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hi all. I have a 98 Mazda B4000 4x4. Random theft of vehicle's has been pretty rampant around these parts for awhile and I don't want to be one of the victims. I have been thinking of simple and different ways to set up some sort of cut off switch to either the starter, ignition or fuel pump. Don't really want to have to pop the hood to activate/deactivate it, or wire some sort of extra switch to the interior, that can be found by a would be thief.
Kind of dawned on me, the passenger airbag switch/ location might make a good kill switch. I was thinking if I maybe were to get another switch, and wire it in, if that might work. Take the original airbag switch, and turn it to on, and stuff it up under the dash and wire in a different airbag switch that would cut power to say the fuel pump. Switch would be hidden in plain sight and chances a thief figuring out, I think, would be slim.
Has anybody tried this or think it might work?? Id rather fix a busted steering column, than replace my whole truck.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
For starters, Im pretty certain your truck has the PATS system (passive anti theft). Ford/mazda started using it in 96 but I think the rangers/b series got it in 98. Very hard to steal a vehicle with PATS. There's no way to hot wire it, you either need to steal the keys or have a scanner costing a few grand.

Secondly, if you do a kill switch DO NOT use the fuel pump. Use the starter. Reason being, if your driving and the switch fails or gets accidentally hit the starter circuit wont cause your truck to die in the middle of the freeway.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For starters, Im pretty certain your truck has the PATS system (passive anti theft). Ford/mazda started using it in 96 but I think the rangers/b series got it in 98. Very hard to steal a vehicle with PATS. There's no way to hot wire it, you either need to steal the keys or have a scanner costing a few grand.

Secondly, if you do a kill switch DO NOT use the fuel pump. Use the starter. Reason being, if your driving and the switch fails or gets accidentally hit the starter circuit wont cause your truck to die in the middle of the freeway.
98 was the first year it was an OPTION. It was standard equipment on Rangers until sometime after 2000.

All in all that sounds like a good plan, but I agree, disable the starter, not the fuel pump.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Btw there's a perfect pre-drilled hole behind the glovebox for a toggle switch... easy to reach from the drivers seat but impossible to see.

Mines not for security... it's to keep my dumb friends or family members from trying to borrow my truck without asking while I've got half the transmission out or something. :annoyed:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or a rollback...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
PATS was standard in 1999 V6 Rangers(3.0l or 4.0l) and up, 4cyl Rangers got it in late 2001 with the 2.3l Duratec engines

There is a Starter motor activation wire in the cab whether you have a manual or automatic transmission

In 1998 Ranger Fuse #24, 7.5amp, in cab fuse panel passes the power from ignition switch to the starter motor solenoid
So if Fuse 24 is removed key can't be used to start engine
Or at the ignition switch, under steering column, there will be a Red/light blue striped wire, it sends 12volts to fuse 24 when key is turned to START, so switch could be added there.

Problem with a manual switch is that you WILL forget to turn it "off" and so....................that would be the night they go for the truck, lol.

Automatic switch "off" would be better, which would require 2 relays
When you shut off the key both relays open
When key is turned back on only one relay activates, you have to push a button once, momentary, to activate the other relay and that Relay stays closed until key is turned off again

So every time you tried to start the engine it wouldn't work until you pressed the "hidden" button
No remembering

It could disable the fuel pump instead, which I like better, a car thief can jump starter motor pretty quickly

And overall I prefer the timer disable more than any other Passive system
Generally where a vehicle is parked is one of the reasons a thief will choose it, not many people around, and out of sight of windows and such
Use a timer chip set for say 20-30seconds, it shuts off fuel if not reset
So thief starts the engine and drives off as fast as possible
Then engine stalls out on the road, he will NOT hang around trying to start it, lol.

In a high theft area an active alarm is better, and put the siren INSIDE the cab, lol.

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Or just get a B. A. D. (Big Ass Dog) ?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Neat thing about a fuel pump switch is the guy jumps it, it starts, throws a big fit and dies. He isn't going to troubleshoot what is acting like a POS and bails.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I had an idea about using a relay on the cutoff switch that disables the starter but also enables the horn when the key is turned to start or run... Try to crank it and BEEEEEEEEEP, crap pants, run.

Honestly though no one is stealing a ranger because of how insanely valuable they are. The kind of people who would steal an old pickup truck are not the kind of people who are going to be exceptionally well equipped with brains or high dollar tech. The slightest inconvenience, or hicup in their getaway plan is gonna send them running in search of an easier target. A blinking red light on the dash and some fake viper stickers would probably be more than enough. Or just leave a ton of dildos and shotgun shells on the drivers seat. If that doesn't send a clear message that the owner of this truck is best left alone, I dont know what will.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And then there is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/TOSR02-Channel-Smartphone-Bluetooth-Andorid/dp/B01FJSLRXQ?tag=viglink23293-20

Or this: https://ozrobotics.com/shop/8-channel-smartphone-bluetooth-relay-kit-for-android-and-ios/

These are Bluetooth relays so can be turned on and off using a smartphone if its PAIRED to it

So key on powers it up and your phone would connect automaticly, once paired, then you have to turn on relay 1 to enable starter or fuel pump.
Key off relays off, and no starter or fuel pump even with key on

You would never forget your phone, lol.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a complete, working, Ford anti-theft unit in my cabinet. It hooks into the wiring near the ignition switch, usually enables with the key fob, but there is an over-ride button if you don't have your fob or it isn't working. If you don't enable that not event the windows will work.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This thread gives me some ideas. I like the idea of a hidden kill switch in the glove box. Would be really easy to do.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I made mine stupid simple and easy to remove if I ever want to get rid of it by replacing the starter relay fuse with a wire on each side (moved the fuse to the wire). So at any point I can remove the switch and wiring, stick the fuse back in and everything is back to normal.

juice90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
All great ideas. thanks. Mine does have a security system. But that doesn't seem to stop some people. My truck is only valuable to me.. lol. but it doesn't stop some people from grabbing them, simply because they need a ride home ( I won;'t mention who ) and the trucks or cars end up burned out in a bush or just completely trashed. Buddy had an older blazer ( the small one) that got stolen, only because someone wanted a ride to the next town. Cops found it, and fortunately, wasn't a lot of damage done to the thing. Think was a small dent, side window and I think a new ignition lock. And ya, I was thinking just a disable to the starter, as it would be easier. And maybe adding a gps tracker. What goes missing around here is unbelievable. And how. Snowmobiles and quads go missing out of a yard, or out of the back of your pickup. Rv equipment. Garden tractors. Hell, even a farmer got in the act by stealing almost 1 mill worth of farm equipment from a dealer. Finally got caught after 4 years, only by fluke. The dealer was flying in a buddy's plane and spotted the equipment hidden on the farmers property. lol Even my dad had a jack all and receiver hitch stolen. I found the jack when I was mowing grass in the ditch behind the house. Been there a couple of years. Rusty, but still worked. lol

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
All great ideas. thanks. Mine does have a security system. But that doesn't seem to stop some people. My truck is only valuable to me.. lol. but it doesn't stop some people from grabbing them, simply because they need a ride home ( I won;'t mention who ) and the trucks or cars end up burned out in a bush or just completely trashed. Buddy had an older blazer ( the small one) that got stolen, only because someone wanted a ride to the next town. Cops found it, and fortunately, wasn't a lot of damage done to the thing. Think was a small dent, side window and I think a new ignition lock. And ya, I was thinking just a disable to the starter, as it would be easier. And maybe adding a gps tracker. What goes missing around here is unbelievable. And how. Snowmobiles and quads go missing out of a yard, or out of the back of your pickup. Rv equipment. Garden tractors. Hell, even a farmer got in the act by stealing almost 1 mill worth of farm equipment from a dealer. Finally got caught after 4 years, only by fluke. The dealer was flying in a buddy's plane and spotted the equipment hidden on the farmers property. lol Even my dad had a jack all and receiver hitch stolen. I found the jack when I was mowing grass in the ditch behind the house. Been there a couple of years. Rusty, but still worked. lol
I know this idea is more work, and may be a bit more expensive, but it may be a better solution:

Have you considered moving to a less craptastic area?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals