• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck Month - Need Opinions!!!

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone,

As luck would have it, I've ended up having the rest of August free from work or school. I've dubbed August 'Truck Month' as I'm pretty much spending all of my time on my truck.

Truck: 1998 Mazda B2500, 2wd, 5sp

I need some help/opinions:

Bumper - My front bumper is pretty badly dented on the passenger side and is rusting bad. I'm looking to replace the bumper and am wondering if its easier to buy new, or look in a junk yard?

Valence - As with the bumper the mazda valence is also gone. I've been finding it difficult to find the Mazda specific valence, but I can find the ranger style everywhere. Should I bother with a valence? If so - Mazda or Ranger?

Headlights - Headlights are pretty much shot. Shipping to my part of Canada from the states is about as much as the lights themselves if I buy from ebay. I like the darkened projector look but I'll settle for a clear lens/oem style. Anyone know of any good buys?

Fogs - I've got a lot of fog to deal with and no lights to help. I'll be hooking up fog lights whether or not I get a valence. With a valence they'll be installed where they're supposed to go. Without a valence I've been thinking of putting them on the bottom of the bumper, on either side by the tire. Check the pic...

Thanks for all your help!!!

Ryan

Last edited:

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
My idea for fog lights without a valence. Sorry for the bad photoshop!

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Bumper would be easier to buy new, cheaper to get in a junkyard. You can probably find one in a JY with a valence on it already. Even one for a ranger should fit with some homemade brackets.

For the fogs. you could always buy/make a headache style rack to mount them on above the cab. Make them so they fold under the bar also so you can use the rack to strap your canoe to too.

That knocks out your whole list right there! :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
You don't like my noodle?!? Hahaha! That could be taken the wrong way.

I need the fogs as low as I can... they're actually going to be 'fog lights'.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
DIRTY!

But anyways, I would try and find a bumper in the junk yard with fog lights already in it. But if all else fails you can mount them wherever you want.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what he said. or you can get a bumper without em and put a bull bar on it and mount your fogs in that.

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Finding something that hasn't rusted itself away in a junkyard around here is pretty tough. I like the idea of a bull bar but I don't like the price or weight...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bumper would be easier to buy new, cheaper to get in a junkyard. You can probably find one in a JY with a valence on it already. Even one for a ranger should fit with some homemade brackets.

For the fogs. you could always buy/make a headache style rack to mount them on above the cab. Make them so they fold under the bar also so you can use the rack to strap your canoe to too.

That knocks out your whole list right there! :icon_thumby:
Fog lights work best mounted low to the ground, the higher they get the more worthless they are for dealing with fog.

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know what model year bumpers will fit a '98? I know a '99 will... '01, '00?

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Go look at my profile and the big picture that pops up.. check the bar out. I'll give it to ya if you pay shipping :D

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Thank but no thanks! I appreciate the help, but I need to mount them lower. I'm thinking of fabbing up some brackets for the bottom of the bumper.

I like your headlights though... what year ranger is that? I'm in dire need of new lights...

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i have almost the exact same truck, i've been thinking about getting these headlights for my truck
http://www.certifit.com/p-7252-headlamp-assembly-driver-side.aspx
i dont think the shipping would be too bad on them, as for the bumper and valance, you might get lucky in a junkyard, but you'd probably be better off new, i think anywhere from 98+ bolts right on.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well untill you get new headlights you could take mothers aluminum or chrome polish to them and it will help clear them up. i'm not entirely sure it will bolt up but you could try a ranger bumper with one of their fog valences

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Mines a 2002.

01B3K

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
See if 01+ mazda headlights will fit your 98, because my 01 has the Clear lens and looks much better imo

Any 98+ bumper should fit as they have the same mounting brackets, if i wanted too i could put my bumper on my friends 06 sport and he could put his on mine, A ranger one could fit right up, but may look a little goofy....

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals