• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck locked w keys inside help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw16057

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hello i have locked my truck with the keys in the cup holder. I have an 06 Ranger 4x4 4 door. I was cleaning the inside and it started raining hard so i slammed the doors closed and the electric locks were closed. the windows are closed tight too.i have tried the coathanger but cannot get close enough to unlock. any ideas?

ianyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Contact a tow-truck, they usually carry unlock tools in em

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
on mine, a 93, you can unlock the door by lifting the door handle and sticking a long screwdriver in the hole under the handle to lift the rod that goes to the door lock. I heard that goes for all rangers but i cant say for sure.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
on mine, a 93, you can unlock the door by lifting the door handle and sticking a long screwdriver in the hole under the handle to lift the rod that goes to the door lock. I heard that goes for all rangers but i cant say for sure.
WOW!!! The ford company sure screwed up on that if true.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That was true of many Fords in the 80s and 90s. The security issue was brought to their attention and fixed by 1999.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's why I have carried a spare set of keys in my billfold. Cost me $160 10:00 on a Sat night hundreds of miles from home to get someone to come out.
Dave

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
About all I can say, "That's a hard lesson!" My daughter just did the same thing on her 2013 Dart. By the time it was over it cost her over 350 bucks for a new key and programing the computer since she couldn't find her second key.

IF you have a the original key code (maybe the first owner wrote it down in the owner's manual) and its a 06, Ford can still cut a new key; but, it will not start the truck, just open doors. Since you don't have another key (or you would have just got it) and it is a 2006 it is a real problem that will bite you again down the road. Lock smith and then get a key cut. The second won't start it; but, you can at least get into it.

The first thing I do when a get a newer vehicle is get a third key. When you have two that work, you can program a third yourself. Lose one, get another and since you still have two, you are good. On road trips I take all three, one in hand, one in a hide a key and one in luggage. I learned my 300 dollar lesson about ten years ago.

Jason_1984

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Be as gentle and careful as possible. Try to stick a wooden wedge (like a door stop) in the door up by the roof to create more space for moving the coat hanger. Not sure if anybody in your area would have an airbag that would be strong enough to separate the door a little. Other than that I got nothing except locksmith.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
I tried that yesterday to see if it was true, I have no experience with lock picking and I was able to do it on the first try... what a security flaw...

If you cant force the back window open then I'm with everyone else here. Make like Robin Hood and call the locksmith!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I have used a coat hanger with great success 3 times. (My son's locked my keys in twice and I did it my self once) coat hanger will unlock it in about a minute or two. The key to the coat hanger is to make it into a "J" with the hook of the J about 3 inches tall and 2 inches from the long part. Then bend a 3 or 4 inch 90 degree handle at the top of the J.

For unlocking, gently pull the rubber seal on the bottom of the window enough to slip the J end between the glass and the gasket.

You can use a butter knife or putty knife to help.

Using the handle end work the J end over to the lock post and try to get it on the bottom of the plastic cap that comes through the door panel.

When you see the lock rod wiggle, gently and firmly pull up on your J. With luck and patience the lock rod will come up with it.

Be gentle and carefully removing the J from your door so that you don't gouge the rubber window seal.

Good luck

AJ

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have used a coat hanger with great success 3 times. (My son's locked my keys in twice and I did it my self once) coat hanger will unlock it in about a minute or two. The key to the coat hanger is to make it into a "J" with the hook of the J about 3 inches tall and 2 inches from the long part. Then bend a 3 or 4 inch 90 degree handle at the top of the J.

For unlocking, gently pull the rubber seal on the bottom of the window enough to slip the J end between the glass and the gasket.

You can use a butter knife or putty knife to help.

Using the handle end work the J end over to the lock post and try to get it on the bottom of the plastic cap that comes through the door panel.

When you see the lock rod wiggle, gently and firmly pull up on your J. With luck and patience the lock rod will come up with it.

Be gentle and carefully removing the J from your door so that you don't gouge the rubber window seal.

Good luck

AJ
Sort of a DIY slim-jim!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I seem to recall a certain youtube video that was banned from this site because it showed how easy it is to break into a Ranger...it would suffice to say that it is quite easy as most people who've done the coat hanger trick...but..as a warning...

PLEASE DO NOT POST THE VIDEO...

It is banned...it will get your post deleted or edited to eliminate the liability or whatever...this can be done easily...especially on older Rangers...not sure if Ford ever did anything about it even after millions of people viewed the video to fix later models.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I seem to recall a certain youtube video that was banned from this site because it showed how easy it is to break into a Ranger...it would suffice to say that it is quite easy as most people who've done the coat hanger trick...but..as a warning...

PLEASE DO NOT POST THE VIDEO...

It is banned...it will get your post deleted or edited to eliminate the liability or whatever...this can be done easily...especially on older Rangers...not sure if Ford ever did anything about it even after millions of people viewed the video to fix later models.

if you want to see video google it:D

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
unscrew antenna, lift door handle, stick antenna in hole, feel aroud till you find the lock, pop it up.

problem solved. have done this many times on my 06, and helped my friend get into his 08 the same way. takes me less then ten seconds to do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals