• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS Trailride truck roll call

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lol. And ya'll make fun of my 2.9... I've had it three states out a few times. Have yet to be by a roadside. ??
2.8 was limited by oil capacity. It hasn't been my dd since 2003 so I have always had something nicer in the fleet since then.

Only time I have been on the side of the road so far was when I blew a u-joint last year (knocking on wood) I pulled the rear driveshaft and limped home in FWD.

For supply runs to Omaha my Supercab F-150 is tight with wife and two dogs now... and it is only going to get worse from here. Standard cab Ranger generally need not apply.

We need more truck pics in here!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was trying to explain how I know you and used "Will hauled my Bronco II back to TN after it caught fire" as the lead
We had a lot of fun over the years. Like when you tipped over with that 100# tire on your roof. Or that nightmare on the side of the road in the middle of the night--no shoulder--near Lisbon. I don't remember what that was about. And then the one I mentioned before, come-alonging (a new verb!) a truck across an ice slope in the middle of the national forest with no other help in a million miles--and no such thing as cellphones back then. At least not for me.

Now we are older and mature and this trip should go smooth....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
We had a lot of fun over the years. Like when you tipped over with that 100# tire on your roof. Or that nightmare on the side of the road in the middle of the night--no shoulder--near Lisbon. I don't remember what that was about. And then the one I mentioned before, come-alonging (a new verb!) a truck across an ice slope in the middle of the national forest with no other help in a million miles--and no such thing as cellphones back then. At least not for me.

Now we are older and mature and this trip should go smooth....
I still can't believe that spindle waited all that time to finally seize up. Makes no sense

hawskill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bringing my 92 4.0 35's D44 on kings, front and rear aussie locker, 4.88. Ill be towing it from Connecticut with my 214k GMC Yukon. The ranger only has 1/2 gears so we hope the tow rig doesnt give us issues.

Attachments

dbastian82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'll be there in SARGE. 90 B2, 5.0 H.O. swapped, c4 trans, d20 twin stick tcase, 8.8 disc chromoly c clip eliminated, d44 SAS 4.88 gears, truetrac rear diff, torq master locker front diff, James duff long arm suspension, etc etc

Attachments

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm coming on my Ninja 1000 and riding with Ryan. My FJ is in a million pieces so that isn't even an option. If I have to tow 85, which I will--no question--, it will be with the Sprinter van. Imagine the humiliation of being towed by a 2-liter engine that pulls harder than a 460.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm coming on my Ninja 1000 and riding with Ryan. My FJ is in a million pieces so that isn't even an option. If I have to tow 85, which I will--no question--, it will be with the Sprinter van. Imagine the humiliation of being towed by a 2-liter engine that pulls harder than a 460.
Just found out tonight FIL is going to convoy with me in his F-150 so you are off the hook on that.

Test drives are going well, I drove it to Omaha today (an hour each way) without incident.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
My tow rig ate up 3rd and 4th gear with about 40 miles left on my 100k powertrain warranty, and the good people at Ram were kind enough to give me a very generous offer on my trade in, so this will be the first long trip in my new truck

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've got two concerns right now. The first is the biggest one - getting the engine repaired and back into the truck before the event. It's ready to pull as of last night, so I just need to get the hoist out and bolt it to the stand.

Secondary issue is that I have jury duty in September, so there's a very small chance I won't be able to get on the road until Friday evening.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I almost got jury duty once a long time ago. I eagerly accepted and told them I was looking forward to utilizing the daycare services at the courthouse.

I never heard from the clerk again.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I've got two concerns right now. The first is the biggest one - getting the engine repaired and back into the truck before the event. It's ready to pull as of last night, so I just need to get the hoist out and bolt it to the stand.

Secondary issue is that I have jury duty in September, so there's a very small chance I won't be able to get on the road until Friday evening.
Man, I hope you can make it!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Getting there... I won't have time to work on it tonight. Hopefully before the week is out I'll at least have the engine apart to get an idea of where things went sideways and what it'll take to get it fixed.
I'm kicking myself for not buying the headers last November when they were $305 on Amazon. Right now I can't get a set for less than $550 and this would be the perfect time to do the install.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Fastpakr… this issue you have reminds me of when I did my 302 swap years ago. It made me sick to my stomach so I know how you feel. My block got bored tanked and all the oil galley plugs were removed prior to being tanked. The machine shop that I used... my brother in law worked there and did all the work. After it got installed... ran in the garage for cam break in etc... after about an hour run time.... my oil pressure dropped and the lifters started ticking. After much thought and talking with my BIL... I decided to pull the timing cover in vehicle and check the oil galley plugs that plugged the lifter galleys. Sure enough one had popped out causing my issues. I ended up tapping them and using 1/8 pipe plugs. I put it back together and put about 60k miles on the engine.

Hopefully you can get this resolved and didn't tear up a bunch of stuff... good luck sir.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals