• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS Goals For 2020

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
What do you think they should be?

My mind has been distracted lately thinking about:

How do we stay relevant after 20 years?​

Should we do another event?​

Should we do a TRS group project?​

Should we create our own video production, and what should it contain?​
At some point, it would be cool to take a truck to SEMA. But non of that concept vehicle nonsense. Something that's been built, used, and has a story before it gets there. I feel for it to ge relevant, it needs a newer modern drivetrain. Not a goal that can be fulfilled by the end of 2020, but maybe something to start on.

I wouldn't mind a spring gathering.

I still want to do the Continental Divide in 2021. So I'll probably be looking at an engine rebuild by late summer 2020. Or maybe a 3.5L non turbo swap if Bobby figures out how to make it work.

I have my own thoughts and ideas, but I want to hear yours.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
What do you think they should be?

My mind has been distracted lately thinking about:

How do we stay relevant after 20 years?​

Should we do another event?​

Should we do a TRS group project?​

Should we create our own video production, and what should it contain?​
At some point, it would be cool to take a truck to SEMA. But non of that concept vehicle nonsense. Something that's been built, used, and has a story before it gets there. I feel for it to ge relevant, it needs a newer modern drivetrain. Not a goal that can be fulfilled by the end of 2020, but maybe something to start on.

I wouldn't mind a spring gathering.

I still want to do the Continental Divide in 2021. So I'll probably be looking at an engine rebuild by late summer 2020. Or maybe a 3.5L non turbo swap if Bobby figures out how to make it work.

I have my own thoughts and ideas, but I want to hear yours.
Ok I think we are on track for staying relevant. your Ranger Adventure this year was a great part of that. if we keep stuff like that and pull in members that are buying the new ranger (we have a few already) so promote new tech articles for the new Ranger to be added to the library. with what you did to set up the Loan Ranger, maybe some tech articles for your bed storage etc...

YES we should do another event! I would love to do another trail ride, probably I will be limited to a few hours radius from Indy, but we have members all of the US, so even if we held one in California or whatever, we should have enough people to be interested.

as much as I think a group project would be cool, organizing and getting it off the ground might be challenging. it would definitely be something that would need to be done central to where some of the more mechanical Savvy members live so they can work on it, but it may be worth tossing the idea around...

I think video/ youtube content would be great. @85_Ranger4x4 got some great vids of the trail ride, things like that. videos for the tech articles, videos reviewing the new Ranger's and Bronco's options and capabilities, or even aftermarket accessories would be good.

I would love to see us in SEMA, and a spring gathering. I am also trying to plan ahead so that I could at least do half or a quarter of the continental divide adventure in 2021.

keep focusing on the new while not giving up on us legacy Ranger B2 owners :)

AJ

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Maybe some gatherings, one in the east, spring and one in the west, fall.
Central to either, like Tenn or Ky for us in the east and the same for the west. That would eliminate driving long distances for either.
Depending on where, it might not be more than 2 days travel time to either.
What you all did this year as far as 4 wheeling was nice, but I'd guess that there are many more of us with 2 wheelers and a nice informal cruise in would be nice.
Show the trucks off, maybe a Ranger Stuff flea market, ect.
As far as relevancy, I wouldn't worry...this is one of only 2 or 3 sites devoted to Ranger trucks, and by far the best one. Your members and their input, knowledge, and
willingness to help are what keep it relevant.
:icon_cheers:
Grumpaw

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Outside of more gatherings, I can’t see how the site can be more relevant. We have new Ranger and Bronco content as well as the old stuff. The forum has facebook pages and a Youtube channel with adventures and eye candy videos. The forum owner gives a crap and shows up on the forum from time to time, And the people are generally friendly. And buch of misguided, reprobates but friendly. What more could you ask for on an average forum budget?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Jim, this is going to come out of left field, but I think that there will be increasing interest in restoring the older Rangers, Bronco IIs and early Explorers as time goes on.

Although this shouldn't the site's larger focus, I for one would like to see more information, or rather a better "clearing house", on the early trucks' production methods, how equipped, sales and tech documents, etc. And, restoration how-to tips and articles.

This site is already rightfully well-known as the resource for off-roading, building and modifying these trucks, along with having the best every-day troubleshooting and repair knowledge. We owe you a big'un for that, boss, and you're doing good to be thinkin' ahead.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I just realized the title said "TRS Goals For 2019". Already off to a bad start. LOL. I corrected it.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I just realized the title said "TRS Goals For 2019". Already off to a bad start. LOL. I corrected it.
Brain Fart !!!
Grumpaw

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i am still bummed about the mexico to canada trip the others guys did...

......tat on bikes is a goal for me. the westerly run from your place is my current plan.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Jim, this is going to come out of left field, but I think that there will be increasing interest in restoring the older Rangers, Bronco IIs and early Explorers as time goes on.

Although this shouldn't the site's larger focus, I for one would like to see more information, or rather a better "clearing house", on the early trucks' production methods, how equipped, sales and tech documents, etc. And, restoration how-to tips and articles.

This site is already rightfully well-known as the resource for off-roading, building and modifying these trucks, along with having the best every-day troubleshooting and repair knowledge. We owe you a big'un for that, boss, and you're doing good to be thinkin' ahead.

this for sure. i would like to do some retrofit work this year. one complete unit.

looking at the gm electric conversion packages......i cant wait for the ford stuff to get here...

a restored 83 with a 2.0 eco powertrain and one all electric restored or g ride style truck will be practical and keep them relevant.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
If we could build and/or expand on the 2wd street type stuff. the Lift kits and level kits and off road stuff is really well covered, but the drop spindles and flip kits and "C" notches, and the stuff like that, is not. I know it is up to the members to do the build threads and stuff, but if we could attract more NON off roaders, that would be cool. I know for me, it was a little disheartening when I could not find what I wanted here, until I realized this was a MOSTLY 4wd forum, but there are a lot of NON 4wd Rangers out there that need a place to go and feel welcome. Since RPS is gone, This could be THAT.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
If people contribute the info, I'll add it.

Honestly, I hope to have my own 2WD street Ranger some day.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
If we could build and/or expand on the 2wd street type stuff. the Lift kits and level kits and off road stuff is really well covered, but the drop spindles and flip kits and "C" notches, and the stuff like that, is not. I know it is up to the members to do the build threads and stuff, but if we could attract more NON off roaders, that would be cool. I know for me, it was a little disheartening when I could not find what I wanted here, until I realized this was a MOSTLY 4wd forum, but there are a lot of NON 4wd Rangers out there that need a place to go and feel welcome. Since RPS is gone, This could be THAT.

how about doing a aerostar or cv front k swap and mark 8/t bird irs swap you lazy bessstayyyd if your happy with stock handling..... the drop spindle/beam thing is useless for the goal of going low.

ordering stuff from an allstar or speedway catalog and building something that actually handles is a job worth doing.

so do it. get it done.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
If people contribute the info, I'll add it.

Honestly, I hope to have my own 2WD street Ranger some day.
how about doing a aerostar or cv front k swap and mark 8/t bird irs swap you lazy bessstayyyd if your happy with stock handling..... the drop spindle/beam thing is useless for the goal of going low.

ordering stuff from an allstar or speedway catalog and building something that actually handles is a job worth doing.

so do it. get it done.
I will document and do as much as i can on that part of it, but hopefully some mini truck guys, and some real street guys and/gals will come along and show us their sweet rides, i am novice level shadetree at best compared to most. I personally dont want a low rider Ranger, too much work compared to the Nissan, but i do want those guys here to share what they know. It's honestly a community just as big as the 4wd comunity, who do a lot of dumb sh!t to their Rangers, so the membership could practically double.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
how about doing a aerostar or cv front k swap and mark 8/t bird irs swap you lazy bessstayyyd

Im listening, ... can u pm me some details, (novice shade tree) tell me more of this, areostars and mark 8s frequent my JY, i just never know whats worth getting,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals