• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS Event TRS 25th Anniversary Fall Adventure - Land Between The Lakes - September 5th – 8th, 2024

Gibby6468

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Someone said the tent sites with water and power were numbered but not the primitive ones

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
They are. I reserved one, but was told I'd be assigned a number upon arrival. I think primitive camping is just a field. They leave everyone there to figure out what space to use amongst themselves. At least until it get tight and someone complains...

Gibby6468

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
They are. I reserved one, but was told I'd be assigned a number upon arrival. I think primitive camping is just a field. They leave everyone there to figure out what space to use amongst themselves. At least until it get tight and someone complains...
Makes sense

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you wanted a deluxe tent site with electric and water, make sure they understood that. I'm really sure you should have a site number for that. ALSO, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW YOU ARE WITH "the Ranger Station" so you get your group discount. If primitive camping, there is no site number. We fill in however we want.

Last year, we were almost the only ones in any of the tent sites. There was a couple in the site behind Uncle Gump and there may have been one or two sites occupied down at the other end (higher numbers).

Regardless of what we say here, we don't own the campground. So, the owners can change things or operate the campground as necessary to suit their needs.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'm pretty sure they understood what I wanted.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not sure you "have to" specify the deluxe tent sites. But last year and again this year I did specify what site I wanted.

The lower the number... closer to the bath house. Also... even numbered sites are on the road... odd numbered sites are behind the evens and you can't get your vehicle right next to your tent. They're all pretty shaded but I prefer on the road sites.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So I maybe getting a topper for my Ranger in a day or two. Wondering about the tent sites, if I save one of them but sleep in the back of the Ranger? Not sure how that would work. Or maybe still get a tent and bring it. Thoughts and opinions from folks that have been to this camp site.
Having a tent or not in a tent site shouldn't be an issue. Since the sleeping in the bed step is new, it might be a good idea to bring a tent as a back up rather than as a worry as whether it is allowed or not. I discovered that the hard way myself in my 2019. Thankfully, it was only for one night.

Also, if you can, get a topper with a carpet lining already installed. The lining helps with condensation build up and drip. It doesn't sound like a big deal but trust me it is. The only way to mitigate it otherwise is to crack a window. Not a good option if it's raining.

Gibby6468

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Having a tent or not in a tent site shouldn't be an issue. Since the sleeping in the bed step is new, it might be a good idea to bring a tent as a back up rather than as a worry as whether it is allowed or not. I discovered that the hard way myself in my 2019. Thankfully, it was only for one night.

Also, if you can, get a topper with a carpet lining already installed. The lining helps with condensation build up and drip. It doesn't sound like a big deal but trust me it is. The only way to mitigate it otherwise is to crack a window. Not a good option if it's raining.
Thanks for the info, it is a used one from a coworker, I dont know anything about it, besides it is for a ranger. Lol, I dont even know the color.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I am full on cheating, when I am sleeping in mine on the Vagabond trip I will have our canopy with. If it wants to rain I will just set it up over the back of my truck. :icon_twisted:

Generally speaking sleeping in a buttoned up topper on a TRS event in early Septimber will probably be a miserable experiance. Usually just a hair on the warm side in a tent let alone a buttoned up topper.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I am full on cheating, when I am sleeping in mine on the Vagabond trip I will have our canopy with. If it wants to rain I will just set it up over the back of my truck. :icon_twisted:

Generally speaking sleeping in a buttoned up topper on a TRS event in early Septimber will probably be a miserable experiance. Usually just a hair on the warm side in a tent let alone a buttoned up topper.
It COULD get chilly. We had frost in Indiana.

Last edited:

Gibby6468

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It CPULD get chilly. We had frost in Indiana.
Yeah September has the potential to go either way. Just have to be prepared for both.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

I have a Slumberjack tarp I have to test out. I did a quick setup of it on the 2011 without a roof rack. It was ok. I think it will work better if the roof rack is in place because of how it attaches to the truck. If I like it, I'll get another so each truck has one.

Gibby6468

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Slumberjack tarp I have to test out. I did a quick setup of it on the 2011 without a roof rack. It was ok. I think it will work better if the roof rack is in place because of how it attaches to the truck. If I like it, I'll get another so each truck has one.

That looks pretty cool, I need to get my topper on my truck once i get some topper tape.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

That has been in and out of my cart a couple times. Not knowing how it would interact with the open glass of my topper was my hangup.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals