• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS 20th Anniversary Trail Ride - Southington Offroad Park - Ohio

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But did you have a Big Chief writing tablet?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’m in. No idea what I’ll have this time, too far away to guess. Choptop at the minimum probably, who knows if I’ll have anything else by then. As it sits, choptop needs head gaskets, battery, tires and the cage finished, but that’s all slated to happen really soon if I have my way. Have another wheeler in the plans, but no expected completion date, have to get the choptop done, fix the dump truck, all that fun stuff. Worst case I can run one of my daily trucks, they’re both not so stock 4x4. An improvement over the stock 2wd daily I used to show up in with mud tires, lol.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
1,800 Miles away from me.

Not sure the Ranger would make it that far. :3gears:
There's no way in Hell my Ranger would make it 2,800 miles (roundtrip) for me either. And that's 45 hours of seat time according to Google at a car's normal driving speed. Dunno about you, but I don't think that's "Ranger on 35's re-geared" time.

I have thought about flying out, renting a car to get there and hope I can find someone to ride along with.

My Ranger could/probably/maybe do the 900 miles to get there, not sure I could walk after being folded up in the truck like that for 15 hours. And then once there I don't think my flatlander special driven by an inexperienced flatlander would be all that spectacular.
What about flying out there, buying a beater Ranger, and thrashing it over the weekend. I'll go halfsies with you. I want to fly there, too.

LOL, creeper cops.
Yup. You know all of them. :icon_twisted:

Never heard of such a thing.

I was in the age of the almighty Scan-Tron

Had to stay in the circle, had to use the right pencil and if you had to guess too many times you had to make sure it didn't look like you were doing a pattern :annoyed:
Do they not use Scan Tron anymore? Do teachers not lose their shit anymore if you lack a No. 2 pencil?

But did you have a Big Chief writing tablet?
Now that you mention it, those haven't been around for a while...

Just read that it was bought, sold, resold from Mead. Decline in sales happened at the invention of the spiral notebook in the 1960's. It was made from recycled newspaper. In 2001, production was permanently halted. In 2012, it was bought and production by a new company in Texas started production again.

The title is misleading "less than 10 months away" since it's in September 2019.

TRS is still home after all these years. :beer:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The anniversary is 10 months away but the gathering is further out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What about flying out there, buying a beater Ranger, and thrashing it over the weekend. I'll go halfsies with you. I want to fly there, too.
Problem with buying a beater is it probably would be more fun to ride with somebody that has a built rig rather than a stock POS.

Current goal/dream is to just drive mine out and mooch a ride with somebody on the trail at least the first day. If I find it isn't that bad and/or there is a scenic bunnyslope trail for a flatlander in his flatlander special truck I might take mine the second day. 873 miles and bing puts it at 16 hours... or about 20 hours with my wife with. I am doing a lot to my truck and everything about has to go off without a hitch for it to work though. I have never driven much farther east than Des Moines and I think it would be a neat drive in the fall.

Fly out and, rent a car and mooch a ride is option #2.

When I get done with what I am doing to my truck I am going to have pretty much all the powertrain needed for a V8 trail rig aside from the V8 and the rig... but I gotta keep the ball rolling on my '85 for the moment. I don't have anything to drag a trail rig that far anyway.

Do they not use Scan Tron anymore? Do teachers not lose their shit anymore if you lack a No. 2 pencil?
Dunno, I haven't seen one of the cursed things in 15 years. All the kids now have laptops so I figured they did their multiple choice tests on those.

Less chance of christmas treeing too. :icon_rofl:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I have a video of JohnnyO taking my B2 on 35" Hawgs up Twister in the snow.
Good times. I think that was the cover photo of the page for a while.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo

TRS Forums Members In Wellsville Ohio

See you in Wellsville September 6-8th, 2019! :icon_hornsup:

Back row, 7th from the right, you can see my sunglasses and the bill of my hat.​

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Problem with buying a beater is it probably would be more fun to ride with somebody that has a built rig rather than a stock POS.

I can see that. I still have fun on Trail II or a Trail IV+. A beater doesn't have to be OEM stock, ya know. :p

Current goal/dream is to just drive mine out and mooch a ride with somebody on the trail at least the first day. If I find it isn't that bad and/or there is a scenic bunnyslope trail for a flatlander in his flatlander special truck I might take mine the second day. 873 miles and bing puts it at 16 hours... or about 20 hours with my wife with. I am doing a lot to my truck and everything about has to go off without a hitch for it to work though. I have never driven much farther east than Des Moines and I think it would be a neat drive in the fall.

2800 miles for me. I can't do that and take that much time off work.

Fly out and, rent a car and mooch a ride is option #2.

I might do that, too.

When I get done with what I am doing to my truck I am going to have pretty much all the powertrain needed for a V8 trail rig aside from the V8 and the rig... but I gotta keep the ball rolling on my '85 for the moment. I don't have anything to drag a trail rig that far anyway.

Dunno, I haven't seen one of the cursed things in 15 years. All the kids now have laptops so I figured they did their multiple choice tests on those.

Less chance of christmas treeing too. :icon_rofl:
Haha. Yea. "B" all the way down, too. Most common answer.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If I can do some of the trails without much risk of body damage, I'll wheel the '99. It'll have 33's and at least a tight limited slip out back by then. On the fence about springing for a Torsen up front.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
There's no way in Hell my Ranger would make it 2,800 miles (roundtrip) for me either. And that's 45 hours of seat time according to Google at a car's normal driving speed. Dunno about you, but I don't think that's "Ranger on 35's re-geared" time.
Hell ya, Ohio is a long way from Texas. Fawk! I'm in Texas!! I might have to point the steering wheel south and come to your house.

Who here remembers the time Sparkz came to Ohio, rented a Ford Ranger, and took it to Wellsville? No, I wouldn't recommend that.

TRS is still home after all these years. :beer:
You're always welcome

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not saying I'll make it, but actually have plenty of time to plan ans schedule for time off work. Also won't make it in a Ranger, the 99 is almost dead and will probably be gone by then, and the 86 is no where close to being alive. I am in process of reviving a 68 F-100 4wd, and if it proves to be reliable by then I might be willing to drive it up.

I'd definitely be a novice, haven't done much more than driving dirt roads. While the truck is a rust bucket and a work/hunting truck, it's also a future restomod project (AKA it's a driver, not a beater or show truck), so I don't want to destroy what good sheet metal it does have. I think I'd be sticking to easier paths or riding along with someone else.

So what kinda setup would be recommended for the easier trails? Truck has open D44 front with lockouts and currently an open 9" rear (IIRC), but the rear may change if I come across a deal for an LS. It has a combined body and suspension lift of about 3" and running 32" Falken AT tires with about a 3.50:1 gear ratio. Drive train is a 390FE with NP435 and Dana 20 transfer case. No 2lo, but drop transmission in first and it's not needed. Oh the truck is a Long Bed, 131" WB and 211" OAL, so that might affect where it could go.

It's also got a Warn 8274 on the front bumper, I don't know if it works and bumper needs reinforcement before using it, but that could easily be fixed by September 2019. :icon_welder:

Would a mostly stock Honda Rancher 420 4wd make it through many of the trails? If so it'll easily fit in the bed, assuming that the bed is still solid enough to hold the load, and I won't mind bashing it around nearly as much.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I am so glad that I came back to this forum to read this I been away from here just trying to sort out life a bit but I still got my rbv's!. I am so gonna be there with something idk what its gonna be yet hell it might even be a dirt bike shit even a pedal bike idc im coming! Also I do have a map of the place its a google map a friend sent me ill try and find a way to get it posted up or a link or something for everyone.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
If I can do some of the trails without much risk of body damage, I'll wheel the '99. It'll have 33's and at least a tight limited slip out back by then. On the fence about springing for a Torsen up front.
You won't need a front Torsen there. Plenty of trails where you won't dent anything. I fairly flogged my '02 Ranger and '05 Sport Trac and never hurt anything.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Has anybody been to Wellsville since we lost the free zone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals