• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trolled By Ford

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Always been the problem with Mopar - they're heavy. My SRT8 Challenger is 4200 lbs, and it absolutely feels like it.

Only downfall of the lightning (to me) was the trans - no manual option.
It's true, but the stock trans is up to the task. No one really has much complaint about them unless they build the hell out of the motor, to the point the trans can't handle it anymore. It's said they are good up to 500 hp easily. There are a few running around pushing 600 with a stock transmission. Friend in Edmond OK has one.

A friend has a built 02 lightning with a 92 mm turbo and a built Turbo 400 trans. He's near 1000 hp. on straight E100 alcohol fuel. He blew the trans within three months of getting it up-and-running.

Another friend has a 02 Lightning, built somewhat, with a T56 six speed in it. Very nicely done. Console with a short throw shifter. Slammed to the ground with a "C" notch. Really nice truck. The stuff he had to go through to get that working, almost too much. All the way to a custom drive shaft. It's way more than most have a desire to do, and costs a lot of money to accomplish.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anyway, I have to leave for work. So no more Lightning smack from me for the day. LOL!!

Adios Amigos.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
They haven't been available for some years, and there are guys at LightningRodder.com begging for one. Really, these days, most of us Lightning Diehards never use them as trucks. I barely put 2000 miles on mine last year. And the only reason I even made that was a 1000 mile round trip to Poplar Bluff Missouri to pick up the custom hood that now graces mine. The guy who did my hood also has a white Lightning, with a Cervinni's hood. Here they are at his country home in Poplar Bluff.
View attachment 37012

Are you talking about the 2005 prototype?

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/ford_articles/2005-ford-svt-lightning-f-150-concept/

The 2003 Ford Lightning was the worlds fastest production pickup. I think it's time for the Ranger to wear that title for a while.
All nice looking trucks. I'd drive the piss out of them.
Back when I was a carpet cleaner, I got to meet all kinds of people. One guy had a Ram SRT-10, I told him "if you let me drive it, I'll clean your carpet for free", ( about a $150 job), he laughed and said "No thanks, not worth it, But if you do a real good job, I'll take you for a spin and show you what its got." I cleaned the shyt out of that carpet and he kept his promise. White smoke on every take off, G force galore, and when he opened up on the Interstate, I was Impressed, very impressed, I cant remember exactly which gear chirped, (3 or 4) but it did.
Of all the fast vehicles Ive been in, the SRT-10 Viper Truck was a decent one. IMO the Cyclone was more exciting.
I have never had the pleasure to go fast in a lightning. Been around a bunch, just never been riding in one. FYI, the fastest I've ever been was in a '88 Toyota Supra, well over 120mph. Never been to a track or in any professional driving scenarios.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
They haven't been available for some years, and there are guys at LightningRodder.com begging for one. Really, these days, most of us Lightning Diehards never use them as trucks. I barely put 2000 miles on mine last year. And the only reason I even made that was a 1000 mile round trip to Poplar Bluff Missouri to pick up the custom hood that now graces mine. The guy who did my hood also has a white Lightning, with a Cervinni's hood. Here they are at his country home in Poplar Bluff.
I would probably get one for the 2019 if they were still around. The 2011 hauls too many retaining wall blocks and logs to get one for it. It is in desperate need of a spay in bed liner though. The paint is getting worn through.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sure, you can criticize me for it. But in this one, I was mainly just referencing the Lightning in general. That even stock, they are a bad-ass ride. But you have to admit, that Lightning Bolt Ranger with the Lightning motor and drive train, would be one hell of a ride. Matter-of-fact, heard the only reason it didn't happen is that Ford thought the truck too uncontrollable and dangerous in the hands of most drivers. They referred to the extremely heavy front end weight bias as being insane.

I'd still love to have one though.
Y'know, the only problem with your lightning......

Is that it's not a Ranger. Is yours pretty much stock except for the hood?

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Good point.

Always been the problem with Mopar - they're heavy. My SRT8 Challenger is 4200 lbs, and it absolutely feels like it.

Only downfall of the lightning (to me) was the trans - no manual option.
I saw a Ram SRT at a Test & Tune at the track a couple of months ago. Obviously, relatively new and most probably completely stock. Also, I assume, not a V10. It was not very impressive. In fact, I'm fairly certain my 8500 lb. 6.7 would have dusted it. I'd guess it was probably on the order of 6500-7000 lbs. as a half ton.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Remember the early ‘90’s? gm had the 454 ss. 2wd shortbed 1/2 ton, big block 454, automatic with 3.73’s always in black, chrome rims. the price seemed outrageous at the time, they must of turned into a collectors item and all got put away in garages, rarely see one anymore. Seems like all the “muscle trucks” got a automatic in them. Manual transmission vehicles are going to be the next collectors item I think

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Remember the early ‘90’s? gm had the 454 ss. 2wd shortbed 1/2 ton, big block 454, automatic with 3.73’s always in black, chrome rims. the price seemed outrageous at the time, they must of turned into a collectors item and all got put away in garages, rarely see one anymore. Seems like all the “muscle trucks” got a automatic in them. Manual transmission vehicles are going to be the next collectors item I think
And the Ranger with the 4.0 and manual at the time put out more power to weight than that 454 SS...

AJ

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
What sold the SS was just the "Big Block SS" but other than that it was nothing but a de-tuned 454 only running about 230 hp. Even the Fords of 1990 with a 351 were only rated about 15 hp less, about 215 hp.
But the saving grace for the SS was it's torque...it was a monster next to anything else. Only thing Ford had was the 460 which was also in the same hp/torque rating but not available in a shortbed F-150.
I had a 1990 F-350 dually with a 460 and towed a 30 travel trailer all over the US, the Smokies, the Rockies, and it pulled that trailer like it wasen't even there. Of course you measured in gallons per mile, but it did what was asked.
The SS 454 are collector items now only because it's rare to find one that hasen't been "modded" to death.
Grumpaw

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Y'know, the only problem with your lightning......

Is that it's not a Ranger. Is yours pretty much stock except for the hood?
No, it's not stock. I put a Magnum Powers blower on it over the last summer. It has a two pound over cog set driving the blower. Entire intake from the filter to the throttle body is different. LFP cai, C & L elbow replacing the rubber crinkle tube elbow, Accufab throttle body and JLP sheet metal plenum (the intake manifold on top of the blower). Also the rear two cats are deleted, and it has a Borla catback. EGR deleted. Stock width rims in the back with Nitto NT555R 305/45-18 drag radials. Rims up front are stock cut down from 9.5 to 6.5 inches, with 215/660-18 tires on them. JLP long bars (traction bars), BroncoBeater pan hard bar, custom made tubular transmission cross-member (the stock flat metal ones crack), and BroncoBeater drive shaft safety loop. LED tail lights and front corner marker lights. Last pic was before the hood, but shows the difference in size between the front and rear wheels.

Attachments

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What sold the SS was just the "Big Block SS" but other than that it was nothing but a de-tuned 454 only running about 230 hp. Even the Fords of 1990 with a 351 were only rated about 15 hp less, about 215 hp.
But the saving grace for the SS was it's torque...it was a monster next to anything else. Only thing Ford had was the 460 which was also in the same hp/torque rating but not available in a shortbed F-150.
I had a 1990 F-350 dually with a 460 and towed a 30 travel trailer all over the US, the Smokies, the Rockies, and it pulled that trailer like it wasen't even there. Of course you measured in gallons per mile, but it did what was asked.
The SS 454 are collector items now only because it's rare to find one that hasen't been "modded" to death.
Grumpaw
Back in 2000, before I bought my first Lightning, I drove a 454 SS that was for sale. It had a Whipple blower on it, and a two step chip. It was pretty bad ass. But, I liked the look of the Lightning better. I've always had a liking for the way the step side looks on the 98 - 04 F-150's. And the Lightning is just the epitome of that design. There was the Boss 5.4, but that was just a style package, no performance change at all from stock. Stock F-150 in those days made 240 hp, the Lightning 380. Mine is right around 450. Good enough for me.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Did someone say lightning?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There's always my Mustang, but it's not even a truck. I've only just begun with it. New project. Lots going to happen to it this year. LOL

At least it's a FORD!

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I swear I heard Lightning...

Why don't you build us a... Ranger Tornado!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals