• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tried to set base ignition timing and surging

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Greasyfingers,

Those wires on the fitting near the shifter are prolly for your reverse lights. Do your reverse lights work?

Your neutral safety switch (requires depressing the clutch pedal to crank/start the engine) is located on the top part of the clutch pedal (inside the truck cab) and is totally seperate part. Automatic transmission Rangers have a similar switch (located under the gear indicator on floor shift autos) that prevents engine crank/start in every gear except Neutral and Park. I eliminated this by iirc connecting the two wires under the dash.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes, my backup lights are working..

those broken wires on this switch, sensor, or whatever it is, that is threaded and is scewed into the top of my ranger's 5 speed tranny housing, several inches inches in front of the shifter, have been like that before I bought this 87 ranger stx..

however, my owners manual says there are suppose to be indicator lights on my ranger's dash instrument panel that indicate when my 4x4 is engaged, and if it's in high or low range..

I can't reattach these wires cause they're broken off, right at point of entry into whatever this thing is..

do you think this thing might be for the dash panel indicator lights, for completing a circuit, whenever the 4x4 is engaged and if it's in high or low ranger..

Greasyfingers,

Those wires on the fitting near the shifter are prolly for your reverse lights. Do your reverse lights work?

Your neutral safety switch (requires depressing the clutch pedal to crank/start the engine) is located on the top part of the clutch pedal (inside the truck cab) and is totally seperate part. Automatic transmission Rangers have a similar switch (located under the gear indicator on floor shift autos) that prevents engine crank/start in every gear except Neutral and Park. I eliminated this by iirc connecting the two wires under the dash.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
yes, my backup lights are working.. ......
....do you think this thing might be for the dash panel indicator lights, for completing a circuit, whenever the 4x4 is engaged and if it's in high or low ranger..
OK and yes could be....got a picture? But the xfer shifter is on the external left side of the trans....so a pic would help.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
no, unfortunately I don't have a pic to show, sorry..

and yes, the transfer shifter is on the external left side of the transmission, as you said, which is correct..

so, do you think that the thing, (with the broken wires), which is threaded into the center of the transmission housing, several inches in front of where the ranger's 5 speed shifter plate is bolted to the tranny, is some kind of tranny speed sensor that is suppose to be relayed to the engine's computer, or maybe a tranny neutral switch, instead of being a mechanism switch, for completing a circuit to the dash instrument counsel indicator lights that are suppose to show when the tranny's transfer case is engaged in 4x4 hi or low range..

this 87 ranger stx, 4x4, 5 speed tranny has a square steel inspection plate that's bolted to the bottom of the aluminum transmission housing, with a drain plug in the center of it.. so that would make it mitsubishi transmission, wouldn't it, if that information helps, any, for this discussion..

OK and yes could be....got a picture? But the xfer shifter is on the external left side of the trans....so a pic would help.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals