• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tricks to squeeze out a few more MPG?

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, ive seem to gotten myself in some doo-doo. i have no cash left due to a catostropic failure on my brake system... long story short, a brake pad self destructed 40 miles from home and was dragging badly and i only got like 15mpg, i could watch the needle go down... it apears one the retaining springs broke on the pad and was clamping down too hard till eventually it was on rivits. Im unemployed and i just spent my last bit of cash on new pads and had an almost full tank before the incident.. now im down to 1/8th and i gota travel 50 miles to sell something but i wont be able to get fuel untill after the sale...

brakes are fixed, there not dragging anymore, tires are good and inflated, the truck is pretty much empty except for the cargo i need to sell...

now whats the best speed/rpm/gear for fuel milelage? 2.3, 5spd, im guessing 3.45 gears and 195/75/14 tires...

anyone have any other tricks that dont involve spending money right now to get more mpg, besides drafting?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do a Mr. Fusion conversion and grab some banana peels.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could put some extra lift blocks in the back. That way the truck will think it's going down hill all the time and use less fuel.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Loose weight...seriously...take off a few pounds of excess metal wherever you can...like the tailgate...leave it behind if you haven't already...I think you have a regular cab so there is not much else to jettison from the cab...but remove anything that is not absolutely needed...toss out those drunken armadillos too...they must weigh 50 lbs each soaking wet...

An eighth of a tank should get you round trip on 100 miles...I've done it with the needle at empty on mine...in fact, empty actually means about 150 kms (or just under 100 miles)...or more...and carry an empty gas can with you...just in case...

Aside from that, I hope your situation improves...I know that the last thing you need is a repair when you are down to your last few dollars...and I've had quite a few things pop up just when I thought I had enough to buy my armadillo a beer...so I had to make a major decision...buy the armadillo a beer or buy whatever it was to get me to my destination...sorry, armadillo goes dry for a day or so...

Think positive...and pray for a positive change...miracles can happen...but you gotta ask...and you will receive...positive...positive...positive...

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
How you drive can have an impact on MPG. Easy on the gas and coast to stops. Don't speed, etc.

Good luck with your situation. There are a good many of us who have been there.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I made it, got a little cash, now i got 7/16 a tank now and no repairs needed. i cutted the engine while down hill or aproaching red lights, one of the benifits of manual brakes/steering is no engine power needed to control the vehicle! S-models are already very stripped down, and ive already done a weight reduction once. mabey have to haul less fuel helped me a bit. I cant wait till i get a job, but harrison has more people than jobs currently and half the places i went too said they got too many employees.. I think i'll be working for myself for a while untill the collage kids go back to school.. Time to go grab the beaten bed from the other ranger and start advertising "Cody's Hauling"

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Good to hear you made it alright! Look on CL in the wanted adds for people looking for stuff then hit them up and ask if they're still looking for that product and find one for cheap to buy and re-sell to them!

5literbeater

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Another way to get better mileage is to let it breathe. I don't know what your emmisions regulations are where you live but you could try cutting out your cats or at least take a rod and blow em out. You can take your cats to the scrapper and make a few bucks there too. Also free up the muffler. If you can find a cheap one that's high flowing put it on. Or cut yours off if you don't mind the noise. Also mod the stock air box. Cut it up so it breathes better. That should gain a few extra mpg's and a few ponies while you're at it. Good luck

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
doing those things will not increase power or mpg's enough to notice

5literbeater

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Works for me. Especially if there's a lot of miles. And its free. Ever driven a car with clogged cats? Or seen dyno numbers between stock cats and no cats? I have a lot of experience in this stuff. Not trying to be rude. Just stating the facts

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Works for me. Especially if there's a lot of miles. And its free. Ever driven a car with clogged cats? Or seen dyno numbers between stock cats and no cats? I have a lot of experience in this stuff. Not trying to be rude. Just stating the facts
If you have a clogged cat by removing it you will notice an increase in power. Only because you are removing a restriction in the system. However the vehicle needs the extra back pressure to run at its best. Also be warned that certain moderators on this forum do not take lightly to people suggesting anyone do an illegal mods.

Muffler removal just makes it loud, no performance increase other than it sounds loud.

An opened intake may help but I'm not positive how much and if it would net you additional mpg.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

5literbeater

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Cats in themselves are a restriction. Clogged ones are even more of a restriction. Hence why I said you would gain power and mileage. And a higher flowing muffler doesn't only make it louder. Sometimes, that's true. But not always. Removing restrictions on the intake and exhaust allows the engine to run more efficiently. I'm just helping the guy with what he asked to know. I never said he had to listen to me about the cats. That's also why i asked what his emissions regulations are. Around here its 25 years and older don't need emmissions. And some places dont have them at all. And moderators don't like suggestions like that? Haha. There's a lot more illegal stuff on this site then just cutting out the cats.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
modern cats aren't restrictive enough to notice a power gain after taking them off.

5literbeater

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Haha. You sure about that? Like I said, this isn't my first rodeo. Besides, why don't you get back on topic and help the guy with his question instead of argue with me. That's not what this thread is about.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
new parts arn't in the cards right now, unless i have to rip out the exhaust of my parts truck out, its strait piped without cats and an over sized muffler. mechanicaly, my truck is fine. My biggest question is whats the best RPM to run at, 4th gear was only used at speeds over 55mph and 5th gear above 65mph and 3rd was up to 50mph... not exactly saving gas... is a constant 60mph in 4th good and 65 in 5th ideal? the truck just seems like its lugging in 5th gear going 60mph... I heard that engines are most efficent when creating lots of vacuum, in that case, what RPM does the 2.3 have the most at?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals