• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tricking electric t-cases into neutral

hjbfreeman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2000 Explorer auto 4x4 has been modified to enable the transfer case to be put in neutral, this was simple and required ford to reprogram the tx case and do a simple procedure, that being, with engine running, select neutral in transmission while holding foot firmly on brake, turn ignition key to off position, not locked (while still holding brake on) and in 30 seconds or so a steady yellow lite shows (a ford $30 part) and the transfer case is in neutral and I have towed this behind a motorhome for nearly 40,000 miles.

I bought a 04 Ranger auto 4x4 to replace the explorer behind the motorhome as I want to get off the road a little more. My local dealer told me there was a similar module and fix for the ranger, but after purchase (not from the dealer) he has changed his story and says there is not this option available. I need to be able to flat tow this truck and have been told even if I disconnect the rear drive shaft that the trans case will still turn and as the oil pump is engine driven will eventually toast the transmission.

Does anyone have any bright ideas regarding tricking the transfer case into neutral??

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I believe they have that same thing for the Ranger, it might be a different part # though. Your Ranger doesn't have hubs, so the front driveshaft is always spinning, even in 2wd. So if you disconnect the rear driveshaft, the front shaft will still be turning. But if you left the truck in 2wd, I don't see how that would be a problem. I would call another dealer about that neutral towing kit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals