• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trany fluid6th

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have herd that if you use synthetic trany fluid in your manual 5 speed it's better than using 90w gear oil. Is this true?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What transmission are you talking about? Most Ranger transmissions use automatic transmission fluid. Definitely check what type fluid yours requires.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Agree with floored on that! Probably the use of a synthetic type of correct fluid or gear oil would be an option! Wouldn’t switch from atf to gear or vice versa unless it’s specified that you could do so on that specific transmission.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have herd that if you use synthetic trany fluid in your manual 5 speed it's better than using 90w gear oil. Is this true?
Look under the Ranger at the bottom of the transmission
If you see a detachable plate/pan then its a Toyo Kogyo 5-speed and uses/needs gear oil, regular or synthetic, but gear oil

If you do not see a removable plate/pan then you have an M5OD-R1 5-speed, 1988 was first year for these in Ranger 2WDs
They do use ATF(automatic transmission fluid), Mercon V was spec, you can use synthetic equivalent if you want
Some like it, some don't, its your truck so you decide
M5R1 only holds 2.8 quarts bone dry, so usually only takes just over 2 quarts on drain and refill
And yes regular and synthetic CAN be mixed, so you don't have to get every last drop out when draining and switching fluid types

Last edited:

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
Look under the Ranger at the bottom of the transmission
If you see a detachable plate/pan then its a Toyo Kogyo 5-speed and uses/needs gear oil, regular or synthetic, but gear oil

If you do not see a removable plate/pan then you have an M5OD-R1 5-speed, 1988 was first year for these in Ranger 2WDs
They do use ATF(automatic transmission fluid), Mercon V was spec, you can use synthetic equivalent if you want
Some like it, some don't, its your truck so you decide
M5R1 only holds 2.8 quarts bone dry, so usually only takes just over 2 quarts on drain and refill
And yes regular and synthetic CAN be mixed, so you don't have to get every last drop out when draining and switching fluid types
Yes must be the Toyo has the flat pan with drain. It did have gear oil in it. I was just wondering if running a synthetic trany fluid would make it shift smother. What w gear oil is recommended for trany and what would be the best for transfer case. Thanks for responding guys. THANKS. THIS FORUM HELPS ALOT.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
T-case is atf! Transmission should be gear oil. Running atf in it would cause premature wear on your synchronizer’s and gears regardless of synthetic or not in my opinion! You know what they say about opinions though! I wouldn’t put gear oil in an automatic just because someone said it would shift a lot firmer like a shift kit! Transmission fluid is a lot thinner than gear oil regardless of being hot or cold! Use what is specified for it in the manual! No problems or worries that way!

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone used royal purple synchromax in there MANUAL transmission?

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There is a TSB recommending this to eliminate notchy shifting on a TK-5. I’m presently running Red Line MT-90 in mine. I think the original spec was for 80 or 90 weight gear oil, which I could never find.

In my experience, conventional gear oil caused difficult shifting in cold temperatures, and I was concerned about additives reacting with the brass synchros.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals