• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trany fluid leak when hot

ranger dongv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
my truck a 93 ford ranger when it get hot will start leaking trany fluid, just after i got it i went on a trip and when i was pulling hills i would start leaking, on my way back it just dumped my trany fluid, took it to a shop and had a new seal put in it, the mechanic said that it was not the seal, the seal was in good shape, that was two years ago, i was in the back country yesterday going up a narly road my truck started to heat up, when i got to a steep rough spot i backed up to get a better look at it and seen that my trany fluid was leaking i turned around and went back down hill and parked in the shade and let it cool, after it cooled we went on home and did not have a problem with it, i had just put trany fluid a couple of days before, went to town came back the engin was running temp so i check it with the engin running, said add a quart, i did, when i check the fluid up the hill i looked like it was over full,

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

trev23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same problem with my 92, when it works hard it pukes fluid but when i cruise around in the city it doesn't, also if you hit some bumps going up that hill the tranny fluid could have splashed up the fill tube giving you a false reading but once you start driving back to town the fluid settled back down. i made that mistake before. i haven't tried it yet but i'm gonna put some tranny sealer in mine and see if that helps. maybe you should try it too cause i think its 10 bucks for the bottle

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
try using a very large trans cooler. its the TC slipping under heavy load and causing it to flash boil and expand out the breather, the TC needs to be replaced but the cooler will help.