• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission swap

Bobbybucklew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2008 ford explorer with the 5r55s transmission and lost reverse. A friend has a 1999 Ford explorer with a 5r55e transmission. Will it be compatible with my 2008?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, as far as I know the electrical connections are different, and not just re-wiring, 1999 would be missing 1 or 2 needed sensors

You will need to find another 5R55S

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you're of a mechanical nature you might consider checking something; In my younger days I used to rebuild my own auto transmissions, on the C4 the big adjustment bolt sticking out the side w locknut (I'v seen something very similar on the 5R55) was for the low / reverse band (clutch) I once got one that had no reverse and wouldn't "hold back" in Low (1st gear position) turned out due to wear the band had loosened enough for the linkage to fall out of place. I took off the oil pan and maybe the valve body, I think, (it's been a while) loosened the adjustment and put everything back in place, readjusted and it worked fine.
I'v never worked on the 5R55 trans but if you're replacing it anyway you won't be out anything by trying...

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The 5r55s also have a different bolt pattern for the transfer case as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals