• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission swap

mosdef

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I am swapping out a trans on my 05 fx4 ranger. The new one came with a torque converter but I left the old one in. I can't get the trans to seat properly, I can get all the bolts in but there is still about a 3/8 inch gap, the dowels are lined up but aren't going in. I was thinking the splines on the input shaft weren't lined up with the torque but if that was the case i think the gap would be bigger. I had to leave the Y-pipe on so I really don't want to pull the trans off again because it was a bitch to maneuver it in there in the first place.
Has anyone encountered this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only time I would use an old converter is if there wasn't a new one available. Any debris from the old trans will be in the left over fluid of the old convertor.

However, as far as the trans seating; I suspect that you don't have the torque convertor seated properly. You should feel two distinct clunks, sometimes three, as the torque convertor is twisted into place. You can confirm by measuring from the block mating surface across to the crank face, and doing the same on the trans side of things. The measurements should be the same, one +ve the other _ve.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would also suggest that you change the converter as stated above.

I have found it easier to remove the converter from the engine and install on the transmission.

This will allow you to rotate the converter while pushing it in to get it seated.

It will take several revolutions and pushes to seat it in. It is not as simple as line up and bolt.

Then as the trans is being bolted the converter can also be bolted in place.

Will require using your fingers/screw drivers thru the inspection plate and turning the converter to line up the flex plate holes.

Ray

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ Yes. I've never thought of having the convertor on the motor first, then installing the trans. I've always done it as txgocart suggests.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't get the converter installed on the trans correctly, you will destroy the front pump on the new trans if you try to force it. Then you get to really start over.

The converter should sit about 1/2 an inch inside the front of the bell (the same distance the flex plate sticks out from the back of the engine). At least two clunks, maybe three as you line up and engage the various spline sets.

I don't know of a way to install a converter into the trans with it attached to the engine.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
It can be done, but you have to turn the engine (by hand, slowly) and it's almost impossible to know you have it right... Or not a good idea...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals