• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Swap Help

Rogueingtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I did a auto to manual trans swap. The manual trans is from an 01 my truck is a 99. I adapted the 99s wiring harness to plug in with the manual. I also Swapped in the ecu from the 01. After all this the truck doesn't try to start at all. If anyone knows away to solve this it would be greatly appreciated.

Both trucks are the 3.0 engine.
01 trans is the M50D
99 trans is the 5r44e
All other electrics seem to be working

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 01 computer had PATS. The security system is holding up the show.

forzainformer2

Reaction score
Put the original ecm in the truck, im not a ranger expert but if it has the same pats system as a 99-03 f150 then you need the original ecm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forzainformer2

Reaction score
The ecm swap you've done has messed up the whole project, get the original ecm back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I did a auto to manual trans swap. The manual trans is from an 01 my truck is a 99. I adapted the 99s wiring harness to plug in with the manual. I also Swapped in the ecu from the 01. After all this the truck doesn't try to start at all. If anyone knows away to solve this it would be greatly appreciated.

Both trucks are the 3.0 engine.
01 trans is the M50D
99 trans is the 5r44e
All other electrics seem to be working
In 2001 the Ranger computer will have PATS inside, Type E
1999 Ranger had Type B with separate PATS module that was "married" to the computer(PCM).

Around the ignition key slot is an antenna, called the transceiver.
When key is turned on the PATS transceiver sends a Radio wave out, this wave gives the PATS key just enough Power to send out its Unique Code number.
The transceiver picks that up and PATS compares that unique number to the numbers it has in memory, the 2 or 3 keys programmed in at the factory.
If number matches then starter motor can work, also Fuel Pump and Fuel injectors will work.
If there is no number or no match, then no starter motor and no fuel pump or fuel injectors.

There is no By-Pass for PATS, you can send out 2001 computer to a programmer and he can delete PATS, so any key can start engine.

A mobile Locksmith with Ford software can come out and add your 1999 keys to the 2001 PATS memory.
Above the glove box is the 1999 PATS module, it will need to be removed, its wiring goes to Transceiver, and starter relay, also computer.
You need to change it for Computer only PATS hook up.

You could swap out Key cylinders and use the 2001 Keys, door keys would be different unless you swapped those out.

Wiring Diagrams are below

Attachments

Last edited:

Rogueingtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So we tried the 99 ecu as well and it's still not starting could the neutral safety be a part of that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, only its a Clutch switch on a manual trans setup.

All vehicles are wired as Manual, there is a Clutch switch plug where the clutch pedal would be.
If vehicle is an automatic they added another wiring harness that plugs into clutch switch connector, it runs down the transmission and plugs into the DTR sensor, digital transmission ranger sensor

So you should have unplugged that extension wire, and plugged in the Clutch switch that is on the pushrod.

Drawing of it here: https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/uploads/scottz136/2010-02-11_000105_1111.gif

In the engine fuse box is the Starter Motor Relay
When you turn the key to START the ignition switch sends 12volts to the clutch switch
If clutch pedal is down all the way the switch is closed and that 12v is sent to Starter Relay, but..........................

The PATS Grounds the Starter Relay, so even it relay gets the 12volts it still won't close unless it is Grounded.

When this Starter Relay closes it sends 12v to the "other" starter relay/solenoid on the stater motor which will activate it

I posted a 1999 starter circuit diagram in this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170877

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals