• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission replacement 2001 3.0 4X2 6cylinder

Tevans22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey y'all! 1st time post.
Gonna be replacing the automatic transmission in my wife's 2001 ranger. This will be a big project for me - most complicated car repairs I've done have been a couple of timing belts. Found a couple of videos of people doing it that seem detailed enough for me to follow along.

Main question is - exactly what transmission am I looking for to replace it, and y'all got any tips on brands / where to look for one?

I also am a little unclear on if there's anything I need to buy along with the transmission itself - I know I might as well replace the torque converter, will a re-manufactured one come with it, or do I need to order separately? And where can I find info on any gaskets I need to buy or sealants I need to be sure to use in specific places.

Other than that, I'm not feeling too stressed about figuring everything out...gonna get a transmission jack, think I can handle if those exhaust bolts are rusted on and I need to cut or drill em out.

Would love to hear if anybody has any general or specific advice they wish they'd known on their first go at something like this if anyone feels so generous too 🙏 thanks for any and all help y'all!

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For 2.3L and 3.0L engines, the automatic transmission part code is 5R44E. For 4.0L engine, it is 5R55E. Both 4x2 and 4x4 use the same transmission.

I suggest you first buy and install the Ford Workshop Manuals that covers your model year in your computer and study it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@Tevans22 All of the info you need is in the Tech Library, located at the top of this page.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Something to consider. Pull the transmission and take it to a local shop to have them rebuild it.

That way if you have a problem, you can go back to your local guy, instead of having to ship the whole thing half way across the country for a warranty claim. Plus you skip the deal of having to return a core to the re-manufacturer.

Just my .02

or, if the transmission is DOA and you want to just swap the thing out quick without waiting, pick up a trans at the junkyard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals