• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission rebuild

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello again everyone. Since the alternator replacement fixed the starter issue, I'm getting 30mpg. Almost a brand new truck now until I broke second gear. I didn't have 3rd gear for over a year. But shifting 2nd-4th works great. The synchro for 3rd chewed and 2nd is in 2 pieces. So I got it all apart, everything is ready to go back in. Used a donor tranny and my counter shaft bearing is different. Everything online for bearing kits shows the donor bearing. My bearing is loose on the exploder counter shaft and explorer's won't fit on ranger's. They both go into the transmission housing on each housing. I've been stuck trying to get the bearing and races in for a week. That's when I realized the bearings are different and don't fit on the other's counter shaft. I'm hoping that someone's seen the bearing and knows why it's in my transmission. Appreciate all the help I always get from you guys. Thank you

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So you have a 1993 M5OD from your truck, and what year of Explorer was used for a donor?

Regardless, the countershaft and bearings are generally interchangeable between those two. You say your bearing is loose on the Explorer countershaft - is there a bearing race installed on it? The bearing races are removable, they are pressed on though. If there is no race installed, that would explain why it's loose, and if the race came off with the bearing on the Explorer part, that would explain why it won't fit on the Ranger countershaft (race won't fit over another race.)

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Appreciate the quick response. For what ever reason I can't attach files due to low memory. Whatever that means. I'd like to email you some picks Ron. The races all fit in the cases. Bearings and races together fit too in the cases. These bearings aren't pressed in. Explorer is 91. It's 2 different front counter shaft bearings. I can put either bearing and/or races into either tranny case. Only one shaft fits only one bearing. From the ranger the shaft is thicker. Explorer shaft is less diameter so that bearing won't fit the ranger. [Fyi: everyone, you can put bearings in a toaster oven for 15 min at 400 and the bearing slides onto the output shaft like butter]

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Total gut swap

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You think it's m5od r2?
It is not an R2 if it came out of an Explorer. R2 is a full size (F150 and Bronco) transmission. The only M5ODs that were in our trucks were either R1 or R1-HD (4.0 trucks after 2001 or so.)

If you could figure out a way to post some pictures of the ends of your countershaft that would be very helpful. You can email them to me as well, PM me for my email address.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals