• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Transmission Rebuild, Replace, or Give Up

Kl1246

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone! A little background, I have a 1996 2.3l ranger I bought for $800 with a head gasket leak and a series of other issues. I’ve fixed the head gasket ($300 for new head plus labor), I’ve done the fuel pump, and some small things like fixing the stuff the previous guy installed wrong. This is not a daily driver, just a truck I use to pickup things that don’t fit in a car. I put less than 1000 miles on it last year.

Now to the problem, my automatic transmission has started going bad. It slips going into 3rd, up until recently it’d eventually go into gear but after my last drive she barely made it home. Had to drop it into neutral at lights and then manually put it into 2nd gear for most of trip back (20ish miles). I tried adding fluid to get home and accidentally overfilled it, I’m solving the overfilled problem but I don’t think it’ll solve the overall issue. I have already replaced the filter and it didn’t help a lot.

i have the following codes:
P0715: input speed sensor A circut
P0743: torque converter clutch circuit
A few others but they’re engine related.

The body and paint is pretty beat up too, but dang if I don’t love this truck. So now the question is what do I do with it?? Has anyone had a transmission rebuilt? If so what was the cost?? What is the likelihood of it not needing a rebuild? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What are the other "engine related" codes. Engine sensors effect the transmission functionality. Also since you have circuit codes it would be wise to inspect the transmission harness, main connector, and range sensor.

Kl1246

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
P0340 camshaft position sensor a
P0352 ignition coil B
P1443 Manufacturer Control
P1131 Manufacturer Control

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If that is a TX truck, it should have little body rot, and the frame should be good. You might find a used transmission at a boneyard, or you can take yours out, disassemble, and put in new clutches and steels. A 'banner' kit is likely less than $150 which would include new clutches. You'd use the old steels. It also includes the necessary seals and gaskets to re-furbish the clutch packs so they don't slip, and re-seal the input and output shafts. Other seals likely included for the center support and the Teflon seals that go into it(you rest the center support on the gizzards, with the Teflon seals liberally lubed with ATF, and let it fall into place-forcing will likely mean cut seals).
You'd need a torque wrench and access to a press to disassemble the clutch packs and put them back together. Not a lot more is needed. Or check carDASHpartDOTcom for a unit close to you.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals