• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Rebuild - FM145 87 Ranger 4x4 2.9L

MarkusMcBride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all, I'm rebuilding the 2.9 engine and fm145 in my 87 ranger and I am in search of technical info for the tranny rebuild. A schematic showing any clearances, or just any information for this rebuild would be welcomed. I have read a few times that it's best to junk the fm145 and run the 146 or better, the M5OD. I dont beat the truck, I have already bought the bearings seal kit for mine I would just assume stick with it. I have checked the scrap yards here in Calgary and I cant find any Rangers or Bll's of this vintage. Saskatchewan/Manitoba was full of them but I'm a bit of a ways away now.

Now perhaps this is ammo for anyone who will say "junk it and swap ya dummy" - I just had the FM145 rebuilt at a shop 5000km ago. I lost 5th gear at 3500km and its already sounding near as noisy as it did before the rebuild. Problem with warranty is that I drove those 5000km across Canada so I cant bring it back to the shop that did the job. (I removed tranny, brought to them, they rebuilt bearings, seals, slave, I put back in, $1500). That is also why I kept driving it with blown 5th, I was in the middle of Canada (manitoba/sask border) when it went, 1500km to go to my destination.

Theres the story. Anyone have any info on this rebuild, and info in general that could be of use, please share.
Rebuilding the engine is for different reasons but I think I'll make a separate post in 2.9 section of TRS.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I have learned of the notorious 5th gear bearing sleeve being shit and plan to upgrade to sleeve with collar w/ slightly shorter roller bearing

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

This may help with your rebuild

MarkusMcBride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes I had found that bit, gonna order that part for sure, I was on the phone with Western today. I was hoping someone might have a shop manual to shar. People have mentioned having them in different threads but the threads are over a decade old now. Any help much appreciated

MarkusMcBride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got engine and tranny out. Transmission has no dead giveaway grenade evidence. Has some overheating marks where 5th gear bearing sleeve screws up and the magnet had some metal sludge but surprised there wasn't more. Have to dismantle completely to check bearings now. Suspecting 5th needle bearing to be shot. REALLY NEED SCHEMATIC!!! Not convinced it was put together properly so need good schematic to make sure we get it right.

IMG_1030.jpg

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Only one I have

Attachments

MarkusMcBride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
5th was about to go from the looks of things in there. Parts on the way. Found great exploded view for fm145. It was not easy, long long and forgotten was she. Here's the link for anyone who might be interested.

EDIT: Thank you Paulos. The manual you provided me in my other thread is invaluable and very hard to find so to anyone looking to rebuild the fm145, here you go. Thank Paulos.
Mitsubishi5.pdf
Mitsubishi FM145.pdf

Last edited:

MarkusMcBride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can see the blueing to the thrush washer in the photo above from overheating. That big bearing on the right is the thrush washer and the washer is just beside it. This is the problem area for the FM145. I am curious if anyone has wrecked an FM tans before from running atf in them?
The shop that rebuilt it told me to buy ($30/L) AcDelco synchromesh atf. So I did. And it lost 5th. Has anyone lost an FM from wrong oil?

Thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
GL-4 rated gear lube is what they're supposed to have in them, I think I put 80w in mine last year, it was some off brand thing from a farm supply place. Seems to be working well but it is quite hard to shift in cold weather for the first mile or so. Don't use GL-5 rated gear lube.

Synchromesh is not ATF, it is a gear lube, it says on the bottle "MTF", manual transmission fluid. It might be a little light weight for the FM-145... you might try to find actual GL-4 lube locally, or maybe Red Line MTL. Watch out for generic 80w-90 gear lube, a lot of it says "meets GL-4 and GL-5 specs" and that is NOT what you want.

MarkusMcBride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
GL-4 rated gear lube is what they're supposed to have in them, I think I put 80w in mine last year, it was some off brand thing from a farm supply place. Seems to be working well but it is quite hard to shift in cold weather for the first mile or so. Don't use GL-5 rated gear lube.

Synchromesh is not ATF, it is a gear lube, it says on the bottle "MTF", manual transmission fluid. It might be a little light weight for the FM-145... you might try to find actual GL-4 lube locally, or maybe Red Line MTL. Watch out for generic 80w-90 gear lube, a lot of it says "meets GL-4 and GL-5 specs" and that is NOT what you want.
You are right it is a mtf... I am baffled as to why this happened now. Long highway miles in 5th before she went (two full days of driving across country)
The plan for oil this time around was to use 15w40
I read somewhere on here that someone had been using 10w30 for 2 years with no ill effects

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm not sure I'd use 15w-40 oil in that trans, or any engine oil for that matter... I think it's all going to be too light when it's warm. I'd really recommend gear lube and nothing else. Engine oil is fine for the M5OD transmission in some cases and I've used it myself but every other manual offered in a Ranger platform is a totally different animal - gear lube only.

MarkusMcBride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alright something a touch down from 80w90. Spoke to a trusted mechanic, worked for ford when they used to see these transmissions, said no to engine oil too. Said the synchromesh should have been ok in there.. Doubtful I'll see a dime from the trans shop. They should have looked into the 5th gear issue. There probably was evidence of overheating when they had it apart but alas, I'll just be content if I get this thing to last for a while after this

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals