• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission question

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 stang 5.0 ranger 2.3 ranger
Transmission
Manual
i was wondering what the full sized truck manual transmissions were that would work in the ranger cause i wanted to put a new transfer case in when im doing the swap and i wanted to keep my truck a manual

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
There are a few ways you can keep a manual. You can go with a 4 or 5 speed depending on what you can find and afford. The T18/T19 is a good sold 4 speed, good for offroad same for the NP435. For 5 speeds you will find the Mazda M5ODR2 or the ZF 5 speed. The Madza will hold ok under moderate power but if you pound on it don't expect it to last. The ZF is hard to find and pretty heavy but quite strong.

Matt

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome back Matt!

We are assuming that you are swapping in a ford v-8. If you are trying to put a a full sized trans behind a v-6 it is not really feasible.
We really need a little more info on what you are doing.

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 stang 5.0 ranger 2.3 ranger
Transmission
Manual
well right now ive got an 88 with a 2.9L and the old 2.9 is dying on me so my dad and i have decided to go the way of the v8 swap so right now im looking around pricing stuff it will most likely get an EFI 302 out of a mustang and i want to put a new transfer case while im doing the swap i was just wondering what my best bets would be for a manual tranny im hoping to get started on the swap in the next 2 weeks or so i dont really wanna be working on it when it start getting cold i did alot of work on my last truck in the winter last year thats not near as much fun as in the summer or fall

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Any fullsize ford t-case will bolt to a for fullsize trans. You should be able to find a T18/19, NP435 or M5ODR2 with out too many problems. The ZF is a little harder to find. In a Ranger with a 302 the M5 will hold ok. The F-150s with the mazda will have a BW1356 t-case, a little too big for a Ranger. Look for a NP 205 which will fit with no problems but it really heavy or an NP208 which is a little tighter fit with some trimming but much lighter and a better low range. The M5 and the ZF will work with a stock range clutch line.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals