• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission problem?

Thatonediabeticguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
So my transmission (or what I think is the transmission) is making a weird grinding/whining noise. It sounds kinda like when you hook a big fish and the reel let's line ouy so it doesn't snap. Has anyone heard anything like this? Or know what it is so I can fix it?

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Need more information. When is it making the noise? Is is specific to any gear/speed/rpm? Have you inspected the transmission/driveshaft/rear differential to 100% isolate the noise? Get some more information posted and I'm sure more members will be able to post and help you.

Thatonediabeticguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
It happens in all gears when I let off the gas whole coasting or even just press the clutch to come to a stop, and also when downshifting for turns or curves. I haven't completely isolated where the problem is, but it sounds like it's directly under the cab and I can feel it in the shifter. My guess is transmission, but it could be something else?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It happens in all gears when I let off the gas whole coasting or even just press the clutch to come to a stop, and also when downshifting for turns or curves. I haven't completely isolated where the problem is, but it sounds like it's directly under the cab and I can feel it in the shifter. My guess is transmission, but it could be something else?
Output shaft bearing, carrier bearing, or if your lucky just a damn u joint.

Block the wheels, put it in neutral, crawl under it and start checking for slop by grabbing and shaking the driveshaft

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Well,

You got the transmission, then the driveshaft, then the differential. The driveshaft has u-joints that can fail and cause excessive vibration but I don't think they would make noise like you are describing. I don't know enough about differential failures to speak to the noises it might make. With a manual you have a clutch plate and a flywheel, slave cylinder, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. Are your gears slipping any? How is the fluid level on the transmission? I haven't done a deep dive into the M50D-R1 that you have so I'm hoping those more versed in it will chime in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals