• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission interchange

ssom61

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put a good 5r55e transmission from a 97 explorer 4.0 4x2 into my 97 ranger 4.0 4x2. It won't shift.Only has 1st and reverse. Seems like it must be something electronic because it worked fine in the explorer. Anyone know if the electronics are different and can anything be done about it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Both are 5R55Es so same wiring for solenoids, shouldn't be an issue.

Assume speedometer is working so it knows when to shift?

And even if wiring was a problem it should just go into Limp Mode, shifts are harder but it does shift

Last edited:

ssom61

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank You. This forum is totally new to me!
Thank you for that info. The truck is about 100 miles from my location so I couldn't check on the speedo myself. I just got in touch with my friend and he had disconnected the wiring and re-connected the plugs. He noticed the main plug (I think) wasn't a real solid connection. He messed with it, got it connected better and the truck shifts now. He said it does seem like a pretty hard shift into 2nd but the other shifts are smooth. The speedo works fine. I'll be down there on Tuesday so I can try it myself. Could you explain that limp mode? I had never heard of that and I'm curious how that works if it has nothing to do with the electronics.

Thanks again

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Limp mode is when computer believes there may be damage if it operates "normally".
This can be caused by engine sensors that are out of range or transmission sensors that are out of range, and CEL(check engine light) will come on when that happens.

"Limp Home" is where the name comes from.

There is no actual 2nd gear on these 5-speeds, what Ford did was to add software to the computers that have 1st and OD active at the same time, that's 2nd gear, so shifting is 1st, 1st/OD, 3rd, 4th, OD

Yes the shift can be hard even in normal mode, there are shift correction kits available they are suppose to make it smoother, never tried one, I use manual transmissions mostly

ssom61

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks again VERY interesting. Appreciate the info

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals