• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission install need help!!!

chrisprentice10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 99 v6 3.0l just replaced all gaskets and seals on the motor and when installing the trans i make sure torque converter is aligned with fly wheel i start to bolt trans up and when doing so i can't spin the motor to put flywheel nuts on motor locks up help please!!!! its driving me crazy

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

On automatics you MUST install the torque converter on to the transmission input shaft first, you need to spin it and it will slide back into the bellhousing and it will line up the PUMP and INPUT SHAFT splines
You will ruin the transmission if you do not do this, period

As you turn the torque converter it will slide back 2 or 3 times as slots and splines line up INSIDE the transmission

You need to remove all Spark Plugs first, then you can install transmission to engine block, don't forget Block Plate, its a thin metal plate used as spacer and to align starter motor to flexplate

Once you have 2 to 4 bolts in place, but loose, for bell housing to block then you can use a socket wrench on the Crank bolt to turn the engine to align torque converter to flexplate and bolt it in place
THEN you can tighten bell housing to engine, and it should just push on, flush, if you have to force it on to the engine something is WRONG

chrisprentice10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the forum

On automatics you MUST install the torque converter on to the transmission input shaft first, you need to spin it and it will slide back into the bellhousing and it will line up the PUMP and INPUT SHAFT splines
You will ruin the transmission if you do not do this, period

As you turn the torque converter it will slide back 2 or 3 times as slots and splines line up INSIDE the transmission

You need to remove all Spark Plugs first, then you can install transmission to engine block, don't forget Block Plate, its a thin metal plate used as spacer and to align starter motor to flexplate

Once you have 2 to 4 bolts in place, but loose, for bell housing to block then you can use a socket wrench on the Crank bolt to turn the engine to align torque converter to flexplate and bolt it in place
THEN you can tighten bell housing to engine, and it should just push on, flush, if you have to force it on to the engine something is WRONG
correct when i tighten the 2 bolts that go into the trans from motor side remind you all torque converter bolts are on at this point i can not spin motor over easy its hard to spin with a socket on it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then torque converter is NOT SEATED inside the transmission
Loosen trans to engine bolts, or pull them all the way out
Support transmission
Turn engine while pushing transmission toward engine, when torque converter tabs and splines align INSIDE, the trans will go forward and be flush with engine
Put bolts back in and tighten

You should NEVER have to force a transmission onto an engine, and an automatic trans can not prevent an engine from spinning if aligned correctly

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will say that when I pulled my A4LD last summer, the only way I could get the torque converter to seat all the way to the last step was to stand it up bell housing facing up and let gravity help out while spinning it.

That made a huge difference. I struggled to try to get it to seat otherwise and thought I had it, but did not.

Listen to @RonD he is very wise!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals