• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission install Advice and guidance.

TxRanger2618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey yall,
need help with installing a transmission. the trannny on my ranger is done. I found a used 5r55e out of a ford explorer 4.0l AWD with 100k miles on it for $100, it's just something to hold me over till I have enough for a new one. That being said does anyone have any good advice or a how-to guide to go about doing this?Ranger Right.jpg5R55E Front.jpg5R55E Left.jpg5R55E rear.jpg5R55E Right.jpg

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I don't know much about a automatic install. Do a You Tube search. There are great how to videos on there.

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
I made the mistake of letting one of my O2 sensor plugs on the wiring harness end up inside the bellhousing during a solo early evening install. The wiring wasn't completely cut but smashed enough to necessitate a repair. Luckily a pigtail is only around $20. It's helpful to have a friend around and also using a transmission Jack would be great. I have always used my regular floor jack with a homemad cradle. The best one I made was from my motor stand bracket. Used the adjustable arms and some long bolts to create a fairly stable cradle. Other advice is to have patience and the ability to take a break if things aren't going smoothly. Usually stepping away will give you valuable time to organize and avoid dumb/potentially costly mistakes. Best of luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals