• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission fluid keeps leaking

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys. I recently replaced my 3.0l ranger 1995 automatic engine (motor) with another 3.0l, considering that the old engine had some rod kind of noise, and the new engine I got was damm too cheap.

Before I did the engine change, the transmission system wasn't leaking though. But today, after I did the engine change, while I was pouring new cans of transmission fluid into the transmission system, through the transmission dipstick, I immediately noticed that the transmission fluid was just pouring directly on the floor.

I went under the truck to inspect to see where the leaks was coming from after resting the truck on jack stands.

To my suprised, I discovered the leak was from somewhere at the top of the transmission, just a little bit closer to where the propeller tailshaft joins the transmission at the rear. I checked to see if there was a broken hose or pipe somewhere, that immediately I poured transmission fluid, everything goes to the floor.

There's something I saw in top of the rear side of the transmission system. It look like something with a cover or like a purge valve or so.

I have been battling to find out where this leaks has been coming from since today.

Please if you've an idea of where this mysterious leaks are coming from, help please.

PS: the leaks isn't coming from the converter area, because the source of the leaks seems to be coming from top rear of transmission system.

Thanks

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is a vent on the top of the transmission that will leak fluid if you put too much fluid in it...

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
If you drained the transmission and are now refilling it it will overflow until you start it up and get all the crannies full of fluid....just went thru this when I changed out a valve body.
Start it up and finish the fill with it running.

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your replies. I guess this was all my fault here.
There was already transmission fluid even a little bit in the transmission system, but I just forgot, thinking the one that leaked the day I dropped the engine, was the whole fluid from the transmission. It was when I was still researching, and reading here, that I realized that there's a breather or vent on top of the transmission, which bleeds out when transmission system is overfilled.

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Was yours the 3.0
If you drained the transmission and are now refilling it it will overflow until you start it up and get all the crannies full of fluid....just went thru this when I changed out a valve body.
Start it up and finish the fill with it running.
[/QUOT

Was yours the transmission system meant for the 3.0l ranger?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is a 2.9 with the A4LD but all autos will do pretty much the same thing.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Torque converter holds about half the fluid, pan/body holds the other half. The torque converter can't fill without the pump running so when you fill an automatic trans you can only put about half the fluid in before needing to start the engine and get it flowing. All auto transmissions have a vent, fluid expands and contracts with heat so with no vent it would simply explode out of the most convenient seal.

Its also dang hard to get ALL the fluid out of an automatic unless you take the whole thing out and apart. If you just drop the pan to change the filter you will only remove maybe 4 quarts of a total of 10 quart capacity. Same if you just remove the torque converter during an engine swap, you will only lose maybe 5 quarts of a 10 quart capacity.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals