• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission F150 vs Mustang for the 5.0? Performance

Proyecto_5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
hi, i'm new here .. i want to make an engine swap to my ranger 1998 3.0 2wd for a 5.0 explorer 1999 and i want a 5 speed manual transmission, which is better in performance the f150 or the mustang? Excuse me but use the google translator since my language is Spanish ... thank you very much for your support .. Greetings!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome:

The M5OD from the F-150 is an easier install as is it basically a bolt in; but it is a "truck" transmission, so doesn't like fast shifts. It also has lower gearing which isn't really needed in a street Ranger.

The T5 from a Mustang will require you to create a clutch sent up (not too difficult if you are mechanically inclined); as it is a "car" transmission, it shifts much better. Note: If you swap the tail housing from an S-10 T5, the shifter would be very close to the OEM Ranger position, the Mustang tail housing moves shifter right again the seat.

Where in Mexico? (I work with plants in many locations down there). Your Ranger isn't one of the crew cabs is it?

Proyecto_5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Muchas gracias hermano ... soy del noroeste de México, mi guardabosques es una cabina regular flareside xlt, aprovechándolo, puedes usar el mismo alternador del explorador o tienes que dejar el guardabosques uno, ya que yo lee que usan diferentes amperios, saludos!

Proyecto_5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Welcome:

The M5OD from the F-150 is an easier install as is it basically a bolt in; but it is a "truck" transmission, so doesn't like fast shifts. It also has lower gearing which isn't really needed in a street Ranger.

The T5 from a Mustang will require you to create a clutch sent up (not too difficult if you are mechanically inclined); as it is a "car" transmission, it shifts much better. Note: If you swap the tail housing from an S-10 T5, the shifter would be very close to the OEM Ranger position, the Mustang tail housing moves shifter right again the seat.

Where in Mexico? (I work with plants in many locations down there). Your Ranger isn't one of the crew cabs is it?
S-10 T5 ....What year?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe it is the '83-95 S-10s have the T-5. Those after '93 are "World class", but you want to use a Mustang T5 body to get the correct input shaft & better (stronger) gears.

My fleet of Rangers has blown so many alternators; I've never worried about Explorer versus Ranger models - as I've done 2 V-8 Rangers, for certain they had Explorer alternators.

Last time I was in Guadalajara, I was trying to get of the guys to sell me his crew cab but he wouldn't part with it.

Proyecto_5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
My ranger is 1998 from what I read, I will not have a problem with the speedometer, it is great news, my transmission will be a 1994 5EDHH V6 mustang .. so I have to look for an S10 V6 before 1993 .. is that correct? I wish the best performance, greetings!
Guadalajara = mariachis and tequila. =)

if some of us are very attached to our cars hehehe

Attachments

Proyecto_5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
and could use Racing Short Throw Quick Shifter?

Attachments

jbeach3101

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
flipped rear shackles
Tire Size
265/45/18
You can run the M5OD like i did in my 92. Just make sure you use the correct slave and master cylinder together. The M5 definitely gets the truck moving quicker but top speed is eh. what ratio is in your rear end now?

Proyecto_5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I got a standard transmission from a 5.0 95 mustang, in fact I plan to use their clucht system, the differential I will use that of the donor explorer with a ratio of 3.73

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals