• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission conversion Ranger to Bronco II

Quercusbronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Hello. Just found this site! I have a 1988 Bronco II with a bad A4LD auto trans. I also have a 1987 Ranger 2wd with ToyoKogo 5 speed manual. Will the Ranger trans work/fit in my Bronco II. Many thanks!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Some basics. The donor Ranger will have to have the 2.9L engine, for its transmission to work in the Bronco II. If the Bronco II is 4WD, the Ranger 2WD trans won't work. Even if the Bronco II is 2WD, it'll have a 4WD trans and a dummy T-case. The Ranger 2WD trans can work in this case, by eliminating the dummy T-case and changing the driveshaft. The Ranger will be a good donor for the pedals, and engine computer and wiring harness if it's 2.9.

Welcome to the site. Be sure to look at the tech section, and you can also search for past forum posts on doing the auto to manual conversion.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Your info is incomplete

If BOTH vehicles have a 2.9l V6 then the bolt holes from bell housing to engine will match up, if different engines then no it won't work

Is the BII 4WD, if so it won't work

Even if BII is 2WD many came with an empty transfer case on the transmission, if so it will work, but you will need to make a new rear drive shaft for the 2WD Manual transmission

1988 BII's came with a 2.9l V6 , and the 2.9l Block is the same as the 4.0l block used in 1990 and up Rangers
The 4.0l came with the M5OD-R1(M5R1) 5-speed manual transmission in both 2WD and 4WD configuration
This is a much better transmission than the TK5

If the TK5 is in good condition but won't work for your BII then you can sell it, they are hard to come by, in good condition
Then buy the correct M5R1 for your BII, these are plentiful, used from 1990-2011 in Rangers, you can only use one from a 4.0l engine

Last edited:

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 2wd b2 auto/t-case is viable with a driveshaft change, and so is the 4x4 b2. As long as the engines are the same size. Just get rid of the front drive shaft.
The m5od is better, but if the tk5 you have is in good shape, use it.

Quercusbronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Your info is incomplete

If BOTH vehicles have a 2.9l V6 then the bolt holes from bell housing to engine will match up, if different engines then no it won't work

Is the BII 4WD, if so it won't work

Even if BII is 2WD many came with an empty transfer case on the transmission, if so it will work, but you will need to make a new rear drive shaft for the 2WD Manual transmission

1988 BII's came with a 2.9l V6 , and the 2.9l Block is the same as the 4.0l block used in 1990 and up Rangers
The 4.0l came with the M5OD-R1(M5R1) 5-speed manual transmission in both 2WD and 4WD configuration
This is a much better transmission than the TK5

If the TK5 is in good condition but won't work for your BII then you can sell it, they are hard to come by, in good condition
Then buy the correct M5R1 for your BII, these are plentiful, used from 1990-2011 in Rangers, you can only use one from a 4.0l engine
Thanks! Both have the 2.9 V6 and both are 2 wd. I will look around for the M50D just in case. I think my TK5 is in good condition. Better than the rest of the Ranger for sure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good stuff

You will need the clutch/brake pedal assembly
The Flywheel
The block plate, thin metal plate between block and bellhousing, manual is different that auto
I think starter motor is different as well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals