• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission and drive shaft confusion

Michael Stef

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Im swapping a 302 into my ranger its a '98 xlt and im swapping in a tranny from a 2001 f-150 its a 5spd manual which i believe is called a XL 34- VC. I am going to use an 8.8 lsd in the rear but i was wondering if i need a different drive shaft or if i can use the same one? If anyone has any info on this topic id greatly appreciate it because I am kindve confused rioght now and google is giving me no answers!

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
Little late in the day I guess. There are several very knowledgeable guys on here...I'm not one of them, but hang in there. The Ranger guru's will help you out tommorrow I'm sure. With age comes wisdom...and early bed times. What T-case are you going to use?

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
I see. With any luck the grand poobah Ron will see this in the morning. Cheers.from Saskatchewan fellow hoser

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im swapping a 302 into my ranger its a '98 xlt and im swapping in a tranny from a 2001 f-150 its a 5spd manual which i believe is called a XL 34- VC. I am going to use an 8.8 lsd in the rear but i was wondering if i need a different drive shaft or if i can use the same one? If anyone has any info on this topic id greatly appreciate it because I am kindve confused rioght now and google is giving me no answers!
XL34xx is one of various tag numbers, but it is a M5OD-R2 or M5R2, If your truck was a 2WD Manual to begin with then your stock driveshaft should just fit.

What engine/trans do you currently have? Mine was a 4.0/manual before the swap and the shaft fit right back in directly. (I'm not sure if a 3.0 or 4cyl manual shaft is the same length or splines as the 4.0/M5OD-R1 tho, maybe someone else knows that answer for sure).

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You may or may not have to adjust the length. As long as the stub fits the rear of the transmission, then that won’t have to be changed. I did one V-8 swap that I didn’t have to change driveshaft length. The one I’m doing now the rear shaft is about an inch too long. It’s annoying, but not the end of the world. A spring and driveline shop can help. I called my local shop and they can cut and balance it. Since I should be able to handle the cut and weld, I may do it myself to save a little money (and a second trip there since I’d have to leave it a few days if they do the shortening).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals