• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer Case not working !!

Jim Henderson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4L V6
Transmission
Manual
Was a little disappointed this evening , wanted to get into a lake that is pretty tough to get into , and when I got out and locked my hubs , and pushed the 4X button on the dash the light comes on but it's defiantly not in 4 wheel drive and couldn't get it into 4 lo .
Knowing there was a problem , I tried to get the 4X4 light to come off , it wouldn't .
This is not a big surprise to me as I have no faith in anything electronic and I do have a manual T case in my old Ranger so ,,,, tomorrow morning out with the E and in with the M !!!! :headbang:

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then take the electric case back to the lake and throw it in you'll feel better i did.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Was a little disappointed this evening , wanted to get into a lake that is pretty tough to get into , and when I got out and locked my hubs , and pushed the 4X button on the dash the light comes on but it's defiantly not in 4 wheel drive and couldn't get it into 4 lo .
Knowing there was a problem , I tried to get the 4X4 light to come off , it wouldn't .
This is not a big surprise to me as I have no faith in anything electronic and I do have a manual T case in my old Ranger so ,,,, tomorrow morning out with the E and in with the M !!!! :headbang:
Problem highlighted in red.

Jim Henderson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thats right boys ,,,,, the problem will be fixed in a few hours ,,, I'm just glad I still have a manual shift T Case to put in ! Me thinks I'll start looking for another just to keep on the shelf too!!
For you guys that have made the swap , what have you done for a shifter boot to make it look good ???? my old 91 never had one and I just stuffed a few old leather mitt's in the hole to keep the weather out. It was basterdized and I didn't care about the looks of the interior , but this 94 still has a nice looking interior ???? Any thoughts ???

Last edited:

Jim Henderson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4L V6
Transmission
Manual
Done and tested , took a bit longer then I expected , yes I have a few choice words for 12 piont bolts ,,, and T-30 bits , but it's finished , all but the shifter boots and skid plate , but I tested it and its a good one !! :headbang:
IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats right boys ,,,,, the problem will be fixed in a few hours ,,, I'm just glad I still have a manual shift T Case to put in ! Me thinks I'll start looking for another just to keep on the shelf too!!
For you guys that have made the swap , what have you done for a shifter boot to make it look good ???? my old 91 never had one and I just stuffed a few old leather mitt's in the hole to keep the weather out. It was basterdized and I didn't care about the looks of the interior , but this 94 still has a nice looking interior ???? Any thoughts ???
Did the 92-94 Rangers ever come with a manual Tcase? If so, I would think you can probably go get the boots or whatever you need from a wrecker?

Jim Henderson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4L V6
Transmission
Manual
No I don't believe they did ,,, I think was only Gen 1's that had the manual T-case's ,,,, but I could be wrong ??? :icon_confused:

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some 93-94's had manual Tcases the boots are very rare, expensive and even harder to find but there out there. 92 and earlier boots are easier to find and cheaper and they do work. I have a 91 boot on my 93 with twin stick setup.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
'97 was the last year for the manual 1354 t-case (excepting for the '02-'0? (07?) FX4-LII trucks, which used different interior pieces IIRC).

Jim Henderson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4L V6
Transmission
Manual
Got it all buttoned up for now till I can find a better set up , took a while but it will work for now. :icon_thumby:
IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals