• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer Case Leak And Repair

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I crawled under the ranger today to PB Blast some rusty exhaust bolts in preparation for removing the transmission to replace a bad slave cylinder this weekend. I wasn't under there very long before I saw, what I believe to be the rear transfer case output seal leaking. I have no idea how long this has been leaking (oil change guys never mentioned anything) but I went and picked up a new seal at O'Reilly's ($21-National) they suggested that I would probably need to by a sleeve that fits over the "yoke". They said the yoke probably has been chewed down a bit and just replacing the seal won't fix the leak now. I looked at the sleeve and understand how it works and it seems plausible that my output yoke could be chewed down a bit from rubbing on the wrong (metal) part of the worn out seal. Is it common to have to use the sleeve method to repair the leak. I don't know if it serves any purpose, but I'm gonna try to include a picture or two of my transfer case so you can see how much leaking I'm talking about. Hopefully the pic shows up. Thanks for any advice.

sluhbmet

Attachments

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
only use a sleeve if you actually have to, you most likely will not need it.

just take a look to see if the seal is actually damaged or if it is just not holding oil anymore, its easy to change

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Um... Your seal could be leaking... but I'm wondering if the oil isn't possibly coming from the VSS seeing as there is no cable hooked up to it.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have no idea how long it has been leaking.
I'd drain out the fluid and measure how much drains out compared to how much it is supposed to hold. Based on that, you can gage the life likely left in it. Not much ATF = short potential lifespan.

I'd also grab that rear output shaft and wiggle it. If it has a lot of radial play, it is toast and the new seal/kit won't help (bad bearing from oil starvation).

If you find either of these conditions, I'd look around for a replacement transfer case. They are easy to find and can be had fairly cheap.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransCaseMaint.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransferCases.html

Better? That's what I meant, but I sure didn't say it well....

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I'd look around for a replacement transfer case.

You have no idea how long it has been leaking.
I'd drain out the fluid and measure how much drains out compared to how much it is supposed to hold. I'd also grab that rear output shaft and wiggle it. If it has a lot of radial play, it is toast and the new seal/kit won't help (bad bearing from oil starvation).

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransCaseMaint.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransferCases.html

Huh?

My motor has had an oil leak for about 100K. Should I replace it?

Things leak, if it's bad it's bad, but don't go out and buy a transfer case on the incase of the 1% chance it could be bad.

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, I had no idea that there was even a hint of a leak. I live in an apartment complex with asphalt driveways and hadn't noticed any fluid under the truck (excepts for a/c water drip on hot days). I can say for a fact that I will be looking for a good reputable oil change place in the Little Rock area in the immediate future (suggestions welcome). I dug out my past service records from the Exon/Mobil station and there was no mention of any leaks listed on them. There are no grinding noises or any other noises for that matter coming from the transfer case, so if a bearing is shot (due to oil starvation), it sure is a quiet one. I'll be topping it off with Mercon ATF tonight just to make sure no further damage occurs and the tranny is coming out this weekend anyways for a new slave cylinder, so I guess I'll wait to bend over and take it in the A*$ then. I checked the u-joints and drive shaft for damage, thought maybe it had a wobble or balance issue. I couldn't find anything (blatantly obvious) wrong with the driveshaft itself, but found the center support bearing to have plenty of slop in it (truck was still hot). I don't know how much play in that support bearing is normal. I can wiggle the driveshaft and that center support bearing/rubber moves probably 1/4 in. any direction. However, the rubber portion around the bearing appears to be intact, just seems maybe a little flimsy. However, it is hard to see completely though. Are those center support bearings hard to put on? As always, any advice is greatly appreciated and a huge thanks for everyones input already. Sorry for writing a novel...

sluhbmet

Last edited:

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well that was fun... I just topped off my transfer case with mercon atf fluid. Good News--It didn't take hardly any fluid before it started running back out the fill hole (maybe a 16th of a quart, extremely minimal). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll only have to replace the rear output seal this weekend.

sluhbmet

rangerstzz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985-1992
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3-2.9
Transmission
Manual
Um... Your seal could be leaking... but I'm wondering if the oil isn't possibly coming from the VSS seeing as there is no cable hooked up to it.
x 2, sluhbmet, is your speedometer working?

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
x 2, sluhbmet, is your speedometer working?
ummm, its an electric sensor, not a cable
if it was cable driven the speedo would show 0 all the time
as for the leak. its seepage mainly. not something to really worry about. and its so dirty its hard to tell where the leak is coming from. just check the fluid level every now and then and you should be fine

Last edited:

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
With the amount of dirt and crud packed around it, it's quite hard to tell. For the record, with it being that packed up with crap, it looks just like one that receives a cable. :annoyed:

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, speedometer works perfectly. That is just the speed sensor up there and it only has a electrical plug attached to it. Believe it or not, that's just highway dirt and tranny fluid mixed together. The truck never see's off-road (mud). I'm gonna take it to the car wash tonight or tomorrow and clean it off. I have a can of engine degreaser that I want to spray liberally over the transfer case and let it set, before going to the car wash, but I gotta find a gravel parking lot to do that on. My apartment complex manager would kill me if I sprayed it on and let it drip off on the driveway, or she might raise my rent when lease renewal time comes around. Oh wait, they are already doing that... :icon_confused: Nailz, you bring up a good point. I hope it's not leaking around the speed sensor. Cause I just bought a rear output seal for nothing then.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Can't wait to tear into this thing over the weekend.

sluhbmet

Last edited:

Lilred99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
im diagnosing the same light and wont shift into four low. Also gets stuck in four high then throws blinking code. Cleaned all contacts. Fixed bare spot on wire on TC pigtail to shift motor. Motor now shifts between all modes without error. Question is when I took motor off I lost a tablespoon of fluid. It appears to be coming from the keyhole. What’s seal is causing this leak and how hard is it to repair? Can it be done without taking TC down? Where to buy and diagram would be awesome as well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals