• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer case fluid ?

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What fluid do you put in ur TC? Don't know what's currently in mine but it's low and dirty need to drain and refill

Any help appreciated

982WDRanger

07/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, Bored .030 over!
Transmission
Manual
TC Fluid

You use ATF( Automatic Transmission Fluid). Just basic atf will be fine, but if you want to you could go as far as a synthetic. Royal Purple, and Mobile 1 make some. I currently use Royal Purple, which smells like cat piss but works great' shifts in and out no problem, no hissing or growling. In the end it is up to you and your wallet.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford makes an actual transfer case fluid for electric shift cases, it's just ATF with limited slip friction modifier in it. Regular ATF is fine though.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The manual calls for plain Mercon ATF. I have always used Mobil 1 ATF with no additives in all my trucks t-cases and it is fine.
The manual tells you to change it every 60k but it will look like tar by 30k. I change mine every 30k. It is easy to do yourself if you get a suction gun to fill it. Some Rangers have a round vibration damper covering up the drain plug, there are three bolts on the bracket to undo and it comes right off. The case is aluminum so don't over tighten the plugs or you will strip the threads. Just snug is fine.

If the lube in your 98 has never been changed (likely) and it has over 100k on it (likely) it may drain out like molasses on a winter day. Don't panic, but fill it, drive it 3000 miles or so, and change it again. Just to clean out the crud.

Late-model manual trannys call for Mercon ATF also.

L/S rears call for 80w-140, most of the synthetic axle lubes are 75w-140 which is fine. The front takes 75w-90 or 80w-90...know that on a 98-up the ONLY way to change the front diff lube without pulling the entire diff out of the truck is to take it to a quicky-lube (I go to Valvoline) where they drain it with a suction machine. Because there is about 3/8" clearance between the diff cover and the crossmember you will NOT get the diff cover off. Costs about $49, it's worth it.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The rear diff actually uses 80w-90, except for FX4s with the Torsen LS, which uses 75w-140.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies I really appreciate the input.

Ok I am draining cleaning and refilling my rear diff tomorrow. TC all done today.

Thanks again

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok definitely don't recommend that crap castrol atf. Have a slight screech now in 4hi/lo from what I believe to be the TC. Funny I didn't have it when I was a quart short when I got the truck. changing to synthetic amsoil ATF tomorrow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals