• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer case cross member......

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Does an 89' B2 have a crossmember just under the transfer case and if it does, does the transfer case attach to it?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope, just one under the transmission.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The B2 crossmember attaches to the transmission and the tcase bolts to the back of the trans, but the crossmember does sit almost right under that mating joint, so it can be hard to tell if you are unfamiliar with the vehicle.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There's also a skid plate that bolts under the t-case, but nothing attaches to it

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhhhh, that's what WAS there I suppose. There was something there because you can see the spots on the frame where it was bolted. The PO changed out the trans for a 93' Explorer unit and he must have left it off.

Since I seem to have some folks reading this.....I have the A4LD and it has some "shifting" problems. I have flushed the trans (pumped through 17 quarts to get clean fluid), changed the vacuum shift modulator, dropped the TC and pulled/polished the governor. Re-filled the trans to the proper level and I still have shifting issues. Each thing I did seemed to improve it a bit. Is my next step to rebuild the valve body or install a re-built one? I'm running out of ideas and there is no tranny shop close.

The shifting problem currently is a late/high rpm 1-2 shift (have to ease off the throttle to get it to up-shift) and it can be pretty harsh. All other shifts are normal except 3-2 downshifts are also a bit harsh and sooner than they should be. Put in some Lube Gard additive for shift problems and I'll drive it round for a few days to see if that cleans up the valve body. I'm getting disgusted with this transmission.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm not an expert on that transmission, but it sounds like something in the clutch that applies for second gear may be leaking or worn.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
No slipping or shudders whatsoever, I'm leaning more towards the valve body being gunked up. Put some cleaner in it yesterday and went for a 150 mile drive this morning. Seems to be better. I think I'll put a few more hundred miles on it, change the fluid and filter again and if it doesn't straighten out then I'll replace the valve body.

Got a TC skid plate today for $10.....as soon as it warms up a bit I'll stick it on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals