• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trans oil cooler

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking of putting one of those huge trans oil coolers i saw at advance with the mini electric fan on it...i think its ment for a motorhome or simliar caliber vehicle.

I want to do so, because i noticed my trans on my ranger generates a pretty rediculous amount of heat when i drive through sand. Which is do alot being thats where i like to take my quad riding, and sometime i do a little wheeling with thee truck aswell. This is also with the stock size tires, im sure more stress will be added when i put 32's or larger on it like i plan on doing.

Just wondering if theres anyreason i shouldnt do this. My trans is currently overfilled with fluid by about a quart by mistake ( i added a lil too much when i changed the fluid) and i figured if there isnt any issues with having an oversized cooler, i could also bring the fluid down a bit aswell be installing the huge cooler with no fluid inside it. and kill two birds with one stone ( i still dont understand why most trans pans lack a drain plug, i know some GMCs included them on some trans)

Im hoping it wont over cool the trans in colder weather, but if im not totally mistaken i think the trans has an internal thermostat that only sends fluid to the cooler when its at operating temps or above.

Let me know what you guys think. Im also hoping the cooler has a temp sender fitting so i could possibly add a trans temp guage up on the pillar.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
those links answered both my questions, thanks for that.

I definately dont think the cooler i was considering will over cool the trans, seeing how turdle has two coolers of the exact size i was talking about. The highflow parallel cooler, with the electric fan on it. So thats a plus.

I also wasnt sure about the thermostat, and that other link informed me rather well. Though i think im going to skip that modification of removing the t-stat inside the trans. For one, i really dont want to mess with the valve body, unless i had already planned on modifying that, which i dont...my stock trans shifts just fine. Also, it would probably cuase some driveabilty problems in cooler weather if the cooler was always running. I noticed the trans cooler on mine stock doesnt even operate under normal driving conditions as it is cool to the touch if you feel it after taking it on a normal drive without hills or offroading.

It was nice ford put a trans oil cooler on in the first place, my moms old cherokee with the 4.0 has only a radiator cooler which seems rather under rated for anything other then pulling a light trailer or some offroading. But i definately think the stock cooler is a bit undersized. For one, the size of it alone seems it to be fit for a 4 cylinder pick-up or a motorcycle oil cooler lol. And i know that little thing is maxed out when i drive in sand since the return line to the trans after flowing through both the rad cooler and air cooler is still to hot to touch for more then half a second. Actually, once i get off here im going to advance to take a look at the coolers they have. If its not too bad, i might buy that. If not theres a local junkyard down the road, and im sure i can find a nice sized cooler there along with a small fan off of any compact car.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals