• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trans noise, 98 2wd 5 spd

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I have a 1998 Ranger 2 wd, 2.5 4 cyl, with a 5 speed manual trans. It has 192,000 miles and just started making noise earlier today. When I release the clutch from a dead stop (in first or revere) I can hear a slight grinding noise. It sounds like it is coming from inside the transmission. The noise sounds small like maybe a bearing coming apart or small pieces rolling around. Any ideas or similar issues anyone has run across? I installed a new clutch assembly about 30,000 miles ago. All has been fine until now.

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked the fluid level recently? I would start there.

After that, depending on what you want to do with the truck, I would say drop the trans out and pull the top cover to inspect what is going on inside it.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Have you checked the fluid level recently? I would start there.

After that, depending on what you want to do with the truck, I would say drop the trans out and pull the top cover to inspect what is going on inside it.
I put the truck in the air and checked the fluid. It runs out of the fill hole as soon as the plug is pulled away. It looks clean but I am going to drop the fluid on Saturday and change it if I don't discover the problem is forward of the trans first. I am hoping it is in the slave or maybe the pilot bearing and not the trans itself. The truck runs 300 miles per day, five days a week for work and doesn't have time to be down for repairs other than the weekend.

Maritime Storm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Saturn
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Throwout bearing going south?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Throwout bearing going south?
I am starting to agree. Even though it was replaced in November 2011 it does have 30,000 miles on it. The fluid was clean when I drained it and then strained it for inspection. There was no shavings or any sign of debris. The noise is consistent with a through out bearing noise as far as when and how it occurs. However it does differ in the type of sound from other throw out bearings I have heard in the past that were failing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals