• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trans fluid suggestion...

pat julian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Planning on changing the trans fluid in a few days in my '93 2.3 five speed Ranger...Engine and trans have a little of 450,000 miles on them with no apparent issues..Fluid was changed roughly 100K ago at a Valvoline oil change shop...Research seems to show MERCON s the proper fluid...not MERCON-V...Is this correct ?? Also is there something better than standard MERCON that will make the trans shift smoother ?? Doesn't grind, or make noise..just doesn't shift "butter smooth" like other gearbox's I've driven...Clutch fluid is fine...Would just like to find something to make shifting less "notchy"...Had a '96 Ranger several years ago ...same drive train...shifted the same way...so I surmised it's just a "FORD" THINg.....Thanks...pj :beer:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The way your trans shifts isn't even a Ford thing. It's an M5OD thing. A different transmission is the only true fix.

pat julian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea I knew it was a Mazda tranny...but why can't they build one that shifts like a Mazda...or other Jap car...nice and smooth ??...Maybe I'll add a pint of old school STP...lol..that stuff is slickity...Thanks...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Because in 1988 when that trans was built nobody had thought to spend time bitching that a 1/4 ton pickup trans didn't shift like a luxury or sports car transmission.

Its a truck, stop being a sissy and live with the fact that it isn't a Cadillac.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Betta nickel that adding STP to the transmission would make the shifting clunkier.

STP raises viscosity, so when the blocking rings try to synch-up the collar to the locking teeth of the gear, it would be harder to get the gear to spin-up or slow down. The viscosity would cause more drag, making it harder to spin up in rpms. It would make the gear slow down between shifts. Not too sure of the overall effect, but it would put more load on the blocking rings(synchros).
The blocking rings have a taper or cone that is shoved against the gear being selected. The ring is linked to the collar that is going to link the internal spline to the teeth of the gears on the selected gear. The ring shoves against the cone, causeing the collar or gear to change speed to match, finally equalizing the rpm to allow the teeth of the collar to link to the teeth on the gear. Changing viscosity or slipperiness will change the way it 'shifts' as the slide will be oozier or match-up quicker, depending.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals