• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trans cooler vs. secondary fan?

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been tossing the ideas around how to lower transmission temps specifically while towing. Naturally transmission fluid needs to be in a proper temperature zone to get the best results. I'm curious what would be a better setup for both DDing and towing. Run a second large capacity cooler or to swap the stock cooler for a large one, and install an E-fan on the cooler. Of course with a switchable fan you'd be able to control temps from both too hot and too cold, but would it be worth it when not towing?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i guess it depends on what type of towing you primarily do. if its all highway, air flow is not a problem and you need more surface area (eg. auxiliary cooler). if you do mainly low speed towing then an additional fan would help tremendously.

most people find just adding a second cooler is more then enough to handle their demands.

also, whatever you decide to do, do NOT bypass the stock tranny cooler. its much more efficient then any aftermarket cooler. on top of that, it also acts to warm the tranny fluid to get it to operating temperature as fast as possible.

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My towing will be about 40/60 city and highway and around 3000# give or take. I guess I'll just have to hook up the trailer, take a trip and see what my temps are.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
i guess it depends on what type of towing you primarily do. if its all highway, air flow is not a problem and you need more surface area (eg. auxiliary cooler). if you do mainly low speed towing then an additional fan would help tremendously.

most people find just adding a second cooler is more then enough to handle their demands.

also, whatever you decide to do, do NOT bypass the stock tranny cooler. its much more efficient then any aftermarket cooler. on top of that, it also acts to warm the tranny fluid to get it to operating temperature as fast as possible.

We went through this, the transmission heats up the fluid nicely on it own. however, don't by-pass the radiator cooler, it brings the trans fluid temp down to 190* before going into your aux cooler.

I would run this

(23"x9.5"x1.5", 13 plates, 45,000 BTU rating, and a cold weather by-pass)

with this somewhere near the transmission

this has an available thermostat that turns the fan on when the fluid reaches 180* in the pan.

you want to keep your transmission fluid as close to 165* as possible.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On a similar but different topic... why that your trans should be at 165* yet the motor should be at 210*?? I was told 210 is the optimum temp for oil longevity and ultimatly less friction. Is the difference because trans fluid is thinner?

And now really off topic, is it normal that after driving for an hour you rearend is so hot you cant touch it but for like 2 seconds. Its full of 85,95 semi syn. and no noise, nor is the pinion or the the axles loose. Ive never noticed a rearend do that before. its a 7.5

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
On a similar but different topic... why that your trans should be at 165* yet the motor should be at 210*?? I was told 210 is the optimum temp for oil longevity and ultimatly less friction. Is the difference because trans fluid is thinner?

And now really off topic, is it normal that after driving for an hour you rearend is so hot you cant touch it but for like 2 seconds. Its full of 85,95 semi syn. and no noise, nor is the pinion or the the axles loose. Ive never noticed a rearend do that before. its a 7.5
could not tell you why tranny fluid needs to be around 165*, just that is starts breaking down around 200*

I can run my Suburban all day pulling 8000 pounds and my rear diff is warm to the touch. I don't know if that is normal, but I do know semi-synthetic and full synthetic run hotter than dino oil in a rear end. I avoid synthetic in my big trucks and my diffs run around 200 on the front diff (primary) and 180 on the rear diff (secondary), also just warm to the touch.

this is not as good as the chart that will has, but it is still useful.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i run full synthetic in all my gearboxes and have never had any of them too hot to touch (even towing almost 3,000lbs through eastern WA.)

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did my first real good test. Running empty I had 165°F Trans and 195°F Water temp. Towing my 6x12 at 65mph (3100 RPM in drive) I had 195°F Trans and 210°F Water temp. Are these numbers pretty normal or do I still have some work to do?

Temps are measured on Autometer electric gauges.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get that tranny temp down. that 165 is PERFECT. so a cooler wouldn't hurt. I run coolers on all my trucks and suvs.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
yep, get the temp down. 195 is way too hot. I don't care for synthetic oils but I just bought a 4L80e from Raptor Transmissions and he recomemded raptor blood for it. If he is recomending raptor blood Knowing he has to warranty my transmission then I think i will believe his claims....... it has more friction modifiers in it to reduce slipping, has heat conducting capabilities to help the trans run cooler, and because it is synthetic it resists heat better. Normally I would not believe the claims but like I said, he made the claims knowing he has to warranty my transmission.

jtfoxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Swap the original cooler for a larger one or stick a fan on it. That should do the trick.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
replacing the stock cooler with an aftermarket unit is a huge downgrade. if you want to add another cooler, then ADD one...dont bypass the stocker as its much more effective then aftermarket air cooled ones.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep, get the temp down. 195 is way too hot. I don't care for synthetic oils but I just bought a 4L80e from Raptor Transmissions and he recomemded raptor blood for it. If he is recomending raptor blood Knowing he has to warranty my transmission then I think i will believe his claims....... it has more friction modifiers in it to reduce slipping, has heat conducting capabilities to help the trans run cooler, and because it is synthetic it resists heat better. Normally I would not believe the claims but like I said, he made the claims knowing he has to warranty my transmission.
I'm under the impression that friction modifiers lubricate only light clutch contact and then are sloughed off during heavy contact. They won't prevent slipping but would smooth out clutch engagement under low throttle shifts.

On my Gear Vendors they specify some weird low pressure fluid without anti-foaming agents only offered by GM, or a synthetic fluid. I called and asked what the difference is in operation (both satisfy the warranty) and they said the synthetic they tested and specify is smoother when it engages. They had no conclusion on any other benefits. It has a planetary setup with a pump and a cone clutch so it sees a lot of the same beating that auto tranny fluid sees. Since it isn't actively cooled you have to change the fluid 20x more often than auto tranny fluid.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
could not tell you why tranny fluid needs to be around 165*, just that is starts breaking down around 200*

I can run my Suburban all day pulling 8000 pounds and my rear diff is warm to the touch. I don't know if that is normal, but I do know semi-synthetic and full synthetic run hotter than dino oil in a rear end. I avoid synthetic in my big trucks and my diffs run around 200 on the front diff (primary) and 180 on the rear diff (secondary), also just warm to the touch.

this is not as good as the chart that will has, but it is still useful.
At one of the shops I go they had a brochure that said for every 10* cooler your transmission is you double the life of ypur transmission.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
hey will ...... solved the transmission problem in Satan's Motorhome......... the dip stick tube came loose, the bolt that holds it on has a chain on it and the bolt was banging against the bell housing. gonna drive it today to verify that that was actually the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals