• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny shit itself today!

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well today I got up at 6:30 ready to bomb my way to school and get there by 8....

Got in my truck, put her in reverse and felt a lock / unlock all the way downt he driveway. Like a front brake rotor was VERY warped.

Thought nothing of it, it rained the past 2 days.

Put her in drive.... Felt like the brakes were locked truck revved to the stall and started moving. Hit 10-15mph and it "free'd up' and was fine.

Every time I stopped and tryed to take off it did this.

Got to school...

Went out at 4:30 when I got out. Started the truck. Put it in reverse and it was ever worse.

Took off and left the school in 1st gear, didn't do the "brakes locked" thing.

Put it in Drive, it shifted to 2nd soft like always. Then where 3rd was supposed to be it was like neutral!

Pulled over, truck was warm. Checked fluid and it was fine.

If I shifted manually 1-2-D it was fine. After a while I put it in D and it was fine. 2-3 shift was kind of hard.

Put it in overdrive @ 40mph because I was about to hit a road I do 65 on. Felt the torque converter lock. Then when it sould have shifted into overdrive it was like neutral.

Put it back into drive, took a second and I was going again.

Not a single hiccup on the way home besides a 3-2 downshift it kinda slipped.

I dunno guys. It's my only transportation to and from college. 30 miles each way EVERY day.

Gotta find a friggen tranny for it. Would do a 5 speed swap but I don't have the time >:O

A4LD btw. Fully rebuilt 12k miles ago. Previous owner payed $1600 for the job, guys out of business now.

Was never right, when parked up an incline it would try to move forward in Park!

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody?? This is my only transportation to and from college 62 miles a day.

:(

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
have u check your vac lines make sure they are okay, u said you checked the trans oil

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
3rd is lost. It's not a vacuum line.

You need a transmission.

I know you want a different answer, but there it is.

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
have u check your vac lines make sure they are okay, u said you checked the trans oil

Vacuum line to trans a all good. No fluid in line. Modulator is good. w

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
MAKG is right time for an overhaul..its an internal problem in which we could guess at what it is all night... but bottom line is needs to come out and be overhauled.

Last edited:

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fuckin a. 12k miles on a tranny and it's toast already?

In D at 48mph the torque converter locks and RPM drops 300. Tap the brake it unlocks and RPM rises 300.

Put it in O/D and nothing happens, let off and it idles, gas it and it goes back to where it was in D. Put it back in D, no downshift, goes to idle until you let off and gas it again.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
More than likely the OD sprag is junk or the hub..therefore trans has to come out...IMO

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your least expensive option to fix it is to get a used A4LD pulled from a running truck and install it yourself. Not too hard if you have the knowledge or some help. These are weak transmissions, and a rebuilt one is simply a rebuilt weak transmission as you have found. I went through the original trans, one used, then one rebuilt on my Ranger before getting wise and installing a Mazda manual 5 speed.
If I was you I would buy an inexpensive beater that gets good highway mileage for your daily commute and the gas savings might pay for a conversion of your Ranger to stick when you have the time to work on it.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
This isn't the A4LD's fault. Whoever rebuilt it screwed up. There's no reason it should take a dump after 12k miles. I wonder why that guy is out of business.....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have an FM145 with 1340 t-case, good starter, floor shift-hole plate, good master cylinder, that you can have. the trans needs rebuilt, the bearings are shot, and there may be something funny going on in the t-case as well, i get this virbating, grinding noise in coast above 55mph (praying its not in my diff).

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have an FM145 with 1340 t-case, good starter, floor shift-hole plate, good master cylinder, that you can have. the trans needs rebuilt, the bearings are shot, and there may be something funny going on in the t-case as well, i get this virbating, grinding noise in coast above 55mph (praying its not in my diff).
It's been a whole year. I'm pretty sure he's either gotten a new trans or new truck by now...

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's been a whole year. I'm pretty sure he's either gotten a new trans or new truck by now...
Lol. Funny you should post that.

The tranny's just gotten worse over the last year. Doesn't shift on its own when cold, huge 1-2 shift flare... Still no overdrive.

Finally today I got the tranny and 4.0 out of my parts 93 Explorer. Gonna rebuild that one and get it in asap.

Trucks been lifted a little, mud tires and a few other things since the tranny started going over a year ago lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals