• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny not wanting to shift from R to D in morning

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tranny not wanting to shift from R to D after sitting for a while

I've got a 99 4.0L 4x4 with auto trans. It's the 4 speed version. Truck has 113k on it. I bought it with 81k on it. Looked to be a pampered truck when I picked it up.

I recently had a ton of maint work done by the dealer, including a trans flush / clean.

Now, I am having shifting problems in the morning after it sits all night.

I have to back out of my driveway. Pretty much regularly, by the time I hit the bottom of the drive, the trans slips out of gear and the engine may or may not rev slighty. Putting the shifter into D does nothing. Not engaged. Won't even go back into R.

I have to get the engine RPM to ~2k for the trans to engage. And then it still feels like it slips a little until it warms up.

Also, once I drive around and go places and stuff, it doesn't happen again, only first in the morning (and once when it was real cold and I didn't drive but a few miles).

I sort of relate it to a pump loosing prime over night because all the fluid settled to the bottom. It's like I have to 're-prime' the fluid.

I've put the truck on a level surface and checked fluid level (warm and in park). Fluid level is spot on, still a nice burgundy as new tranny fluid should be. No burnt smell or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Strickland

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Although the truck had been pampered by the previous owner the transmission takes the worst beating. You have the 4r55 or 4r44s trans and it is just plain wore out. The seals start to leak by and the only fix is a rebuild. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I am going through the same problem with my wifes 03 Explorer.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Theres a possibility that if the filter was changed, either one of the orings got cut when filter was put in or someone didnt put the orings on the filter.

just my 2 cents

1stHand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have found out that these AT dont like to get flushed.
rebuild ~1200-1300 bucks

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE:

I wish I would have heeded Bruce's advice above. It finally got bad enough that i took the truck into the local Firestone dealer and we pulled the pan and dropped the filter.

The filter was missing BOTH orings.

We installed a new filter and the truck shifted fine this morning. Problem solved.

The pan had a lot of silver in it and the magnet was had a good bit stuck to it. So I know damage was done, how much is not known. But we will see how long it will last now. Should be fine from here on out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals