• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny issue

Steverino

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a problem with my 2000 4.0 auto Ranger, 83,000 miles. From a standing start, the first shift into second gear is a "harsh slam." Before I take it in to a shop, I'd be interested in what this might be, and what to expect in repairs. Thanks very much!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
First thing is always to check fluid level and condition.

They are kinda known to have a little clunk. Mine clunks into second if you hit the gas hard, always been like that. :rolleyes:

Steverino

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First thing is always to check fluid level and condition.

They are kinda known to have a little clunk. Mine clunks into second if you hit the gas hard, always been like that. :rolleyes:
I've searched my service records and found that in 2004 with 28K miles, this happened and they removed the drive shaft, lubed the yoke and installed a new boot. Could be deja vu all over again.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Do you have a one or two piece driveshaft?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have a problem with my 2000 4.0 auto Ranger, 83,000 miles. From a standing start, the first shift into second gear is a "harsh slam." Before I take it in to a shop, I'd be interested in what this might be, and what to expect in repairs. Thanks very much!
sounds like a sticky valve. There are many additives out there to address this. Also fresh fluid and filter may help.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Is your overdrive light flashing?

Steverino

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Auto trans so no overdrive light, right?

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
If it’s a automatic it has a OD button on the end of the shifter.

Steverino

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ah, yes forgot about that button--no, there is no overdrive light on. Thank you!

Steverino

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have had my Ranger in to the Ford dealer service for this grans problem. (All the independent shops here seem to be scheduled far into the future.) I've been a customer at this Ford dealership for 30 years, it's service department has a very good reputation. The news was not good. They say it needs a new transmission, a rebuilt installed would be $5,500. That's about what the truck is worth in good running condition. The computer showed an error code "Line D , PO733" which means internal transmission failure. Also, one of you asked if the OD light was flashing. It wasn't but now it is. If I turn the OD off, the light stops flashing. I hate to give up the truck with only 84K on it. plus it would be hard to find a replacement that has the heavy duty rear end of this one. Another complication it that it has a very expensive engine repair issue; I could be in for more than $10K total, engine and trans. I had the trans flushed hoping this would do it, and my thought now is to drive it until it fails and then sell for salvage. Any thoughts?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just throw a used engine and trans in from a wrecked truck.

Steverino

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just throw a used engine and trans in from a wrecked truck.
That's one possibility. Service advisor told me that head problems are not unusual among Ranger engines.

Steverino

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and help! I did find a good trans shop which overhauled my trans for $1,700, all new parts included. So, I'm happy with this; got a nice smooth transmission again that should be good for the long haul. The engine problem seems to have "solved itself" after bringing the coolant back to normal. I failed to mention that this truck just mostly sits, very low mileage these days, i.e., 1,000 miles per year. I have to make sure I use it more. I also have a '52 F-1 which I restored, and the head gaskets will leak if I don't drive it regularly.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I don't know about that code, but shifts and everything else are controlled by the flow through the valve body. Sounds like a pretty BS answer to me.... WHAT is not working in the transmission? WHAT EXACTLY? If they can't answer that, they are just throwing YOUR money at the problem.

Look into getting a 'crate' transmission. Should be WAY less money. When I had my 5r55e rebuilt, that was an option, but I found a transmission mechanic that wasn't crooked and got it rebuilt for about what a crate transmission would have cost.

The harsh shifts are very likely caused by a solenoid sticking, or some port in the valve body sticking. You can buy rebuilt valve bodies and put one in yourself (I did this when my truck stopped shifting at all) and it got me a few more years, but the rebuilt valve body had some very harsh shifts unless I was pretty well standing on the throttle. Eventually the transmission mechanic got that sorted out as well and I wouldn't endorse the place I got the rebuilt valve body from, so you are on your own there. It isn't a difficult job to change out, just messy. At least on my truck.

Have a difficult time believing the transmission is toast at that mileage unless it was horribly abused. Drop the pan and see if there are chunks of anything in the bottom of it.

Whoops - just saw the update. Good for you! Did they ever say what was wrong with it?

Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals