• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Tranny ID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
'90 Ranger 2.3l, 5-speed manual, question is WHICH tranny do I have, Mazda or Mitsubishi? I checked the bell housing for the tag but the tag is gone (more than likely not original trans.). There are no markings stating which brand it is. There is a sticker on the driver side with the number FO7AHA931242 but I've had no luck online. Tried a couple dealers but their parts books don't go back that far. I'm trying to determine the brand so I'll know which trans. fluid to put in it, plus I'd like to know just what I have. Any ideas or suggestions of how to find out greatly appreciated. The VIN tells me it's a 5 speed but not the brand.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
1988+ 4 cylinder trucks had mazda m5od transmissions.

The m5od does not have a removable bell housing so that's the easiest way to identify it, all the Mitsubishi FM transmissions have removable bell housings.

More info here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals