• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trailers/towing

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That's a lot higher than I would have expected for my truck. It seems incredible the bumper would hold 4k lbs, of course it's not hanging off it vertically. Or does it require frame-attached hitch?
Thanks for all the info and the references. I wasn't really clear about it, but I was really thinking about if/when I upgrade, I'd look for 4.0L and almost for sure after '01 so that's maybe 50% more HP (and probably torque) than my engine. So I can probably find those other towing specs in the references.
I'd also assume the max pulling weights are with tow package, that would seem only logical.
Fifth wheel is cool as can be, only thing is, then it really cuts into the cargo area (bed) so it's kind of a one-purpose vehicle. I don't think I've ever seen a Ranger with a 5th wheel so it's kind of interesting.
Trailers are pretty expensive... I wonder if by the time all is said and done, if it isn't tons cheaper to just stay in a hotel. Of course then you lose the camping experience.
I was kind of thinking of going to places say within 100 miles there are a ton of places so I wasn't thinking of long trips with it.
I appreciate all the help. I'll check out the links.
The bumper isn’t rated for that. You have to have a frame mounted hitch. I think the bumper limit is 2,000#. Some bumpers have the weight limit marked on them, others don’t.

Frankly, I wouldn’t trust the bumper for towing anything.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The bumper isn’t rated for that. You have to have a frame mounted hitch. I think the bumper limit is 2,000#. Some bumpers have the weight limit marked on them, others don’t.

Frankly, I wouldn’t trust the bumper for towing anything.
The bumper is capable of more then people give them credit for. I wont admit to how i know but if its in good shape and the mounts are solid they'll eaisly handle 2k.

Gotta think with a 2000lb trailer the ideal tounge weight is 200-250lbs or so....and im sure we all use them as a step regardless of our portlyness.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The bumper is capable of more then people give them credit for. I wont admit to how i know but if its in good shape and the mounts are solid they'll eaisly handle 2k.

Gotta think with a 2000lb trailer the ideal tounge weight is 200-250lbs or so....and im sure we all use them as a step regardless of our portlyness.
My concern is the ease at which everything seems to corrode on the back side of the bumper where you normally don’t see it. Even my 2011 seems to have more rust on the back side than I think it should. And that is with me hosing down the under side of the truck with Fluid Film every year.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My concern is the ease at which everything seems to corrode on the back side of the bumper where you normally don’t see it. Even my 2011 seems to have more rust on the back side than I think it should. And that is with me hosing down the under side of the truck with Fluid Film every year.
I haul my 8 or 900 lb utility trailer with another 800lbs or so of polaris sportsman on it pretty regular on my bumper and its always been fine. I do notice alot of guys hook the safety chains to the bumper though, i always hook mine to the massive steel plate between the frame rails infront of the bumper....so even if the bumper did fail it shouldnt be to catastrophic lol.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I think with the 4.0L which I would want in a newer truck, I can tow 5600 gross 9500. That should be about right to have lots of leeway if a decent steel trailer plus car might be say 4500 I think that would be on the high side.
Actually if the trailer isn't overly heavy you could probably transport a regular car - if not super heavy.
I'm not even saying I would necessarily tow anything, who knows, the point is if I'm trying to decide what to get, it's better to keep my options open.
The main incentive is I want 4x4 otherwise I'd keep the truck I have because it's great. So I really want something not horribly different and I'm trying to decide what are the features I'd want in the ideal world that still fits what I'm willing to spend.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I my 11 has a brake controller. I’ve towed my 18’ steel trailer with a car
/ tractor on it a few times. No complaints from the truck, stops and goes no issues.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think with the 4.0L which I would want in a newer truck, I can tow 5600 gross 9500. That should be about right to have lots of leeway if a decent steel trailer plus car might be say 4500 I think that would be on the high side.
Actually if the trailer isn't overly heavy you could probably transport a regular car - if not super heavy.
As previously answered, you will need a frame mounted trailer hitch. And the best hitch has 2 load ratings: 400 lbs. deadweight/4k lbs. GTW without load distributing hitch or 750 lbs. deadweight/6k lbs. GTW with load distributing hitch.

U-Haul auto transport is 2,200 lbs. And given it is for rental, probably not overly constructed.
The problem for a Ranger is: The U-Haul trailer isn't set up for load distributing hitch - so, you are limited to 4k lbs. (1,800 lb. car) <Actually, you will hit the 400 lbs. deadweight much sooner - assuming you have 15% of load on tongue.> If you have your own trailer, you can install weight distributing hitch and be fine. Moral of the story - if you want to tow a car using a rental trailer, get an F150 (or bigger).​
Note: Even a Fiesta is 2,800 lbs., not many <2,500 lbs. cars out there.​

The 2nd part of your challenge - When Gen 1 to 5 Rangers were made, there wasn't the J2807 specification defining trailer towing. So, while the 9,500 GCWR is legit, the 5,600 lbs. isn't (You would need a sub 100 lb. driver; gas tank on empty, base truck (no a/c, no rear doors on S/C, no power accessories, 235/75R15s - the options add up to over 300 lbs. on my daughter's truck; and I am >100lbs more than the baseline driver). Then add in 50lbs for weight distributing hitch.

So, 5k lbs. max is a more legit real world number. (Still pretty good, but down 10%). And 5k lbs. gets you a 20' single axle RV trailer, probably with slide.

Virginia requires brakes if over 3k lbs.

My daughter wasn't here tonight long enough to take snap of the 5th wheel in the back.
It separates into 4 pieces - head, base and 2 rails (not counting the 6 frame brackets underneath).​
Head and base remove almost as quick as the weight distributing head from a frame hitch (OK, I separate head from base as 60lb loads are enough for me in old age.)​
With the head and base removed, the rails aren't very obtrusive and box can be used for pretty much anything you would have otherwise. (You can remove the rails but they bit of PIA to unbolt)​
I'm too cheap frugal to get a slider; I slide 5th wheel to rear most holes (about 8" back) when maneuvering in tight places.​

The 5th wheel towed just fine other than gas gauge really noticing.
Order of magnitude better than the camper on the truck - the Adventurer 76R was...sketchy. Note: My daughter's truck has Superlift in it; lifted truck with high center of gravity load wasn't good.​

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals